TIMER PLEASE

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
well i am ready to tackle a timer. after looking through all the posts i cant say that ive found one. build/buy?? id rather build so i will know how it works..but if a purchase is necessary then so be it. i use owl pf qd and rs pir. i understand them perty well. i am open for suggestions. i saw the one shrtcirkit uses and he sez its easy..hmmm.  also
the timer can be a 30 sec delay/ 60 sec delay/ or even 2 minutes. can i use a slide switch to pic which setting i want.. maybe we all can pay a chinaman to develop a board that has timer / pir and get them fabricated cheap..like 5 bucks or less for the built board...just a thought also....well thats all i want to type now, have to get back and see whos on tonite.lol
this is sooo addicting...ive build 6 since jan...the woods will look like millions of lightning bugs this winter. welll i have no more play money and my wife has threatned to cut off my internet..yikes!!!  is there a pill / patch / or a class!!! thanks for the help , greatly appreciated. to many brains on this site. yall dont get enuff credit.  bohuter

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Bohunter,
Well.... I've built many of the timers from this site and a bunch of others too.  I'd strongly recommend one of Brians or JoeDs timer chips! (search under those "author" names).
If you want to learn about 555 timers, you can always do some research on the side - but you'll be much better of using one of the chips mentioned above for your cam.

Archilochus' $0.02

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Hey, since you're using the RS PIR, you may want to try the making a selectable multi-resistor timer like was mentioned in Tinhorn's RS PIR NOTES thread.  It would definitely be the cheapest way out.  I just finished a cam with one using a dip switch.  It's got 4 settings (15sec, 30sec, 1min, 2-1/2min).  I also bypassed the timer through a toggle switch to a fifth setting for test mode.  That way the LED will only light for about 2 seconds and reset quick.

My tests with it have gone well, and it should work fine.  The only question is how will it affect battery life?

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
BoHunter,
Here are a couple of pics of a board I just finished for Joe D. He's been after me to get pics of this setup on the board so... Here it is Joe.
This is the complete setup that I use, it has Joe D's timer, a voltage regulator and inverter (THANKS BRIAN!!!)and an amazon electronics PIR. I use a custom Fresnel lens made by Fresnel technologies with it. If you do find some chinaman to make this thing for $5.00 let me know, I'll take a hundred!!! LOL

coyotebandit

Reaction score
shrtcirkt,
Nice setup! I take it you are making your own boards...how do you get them to look so nice? Where did you get the plastic case from? What is the distance on the Amazon PIR?

(Edited by coyotebandit at 8:17 pm on Mar. 8, 2002)

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
CB,
I prototype my own boards, but once I have the design I want I have a PCB company make them for me. it's a bit pricey, but I make too many of them to etch and drill them myself. The black housing is a potting box from bud industries, and the focal distance on the PIR is .53". That entire setup you see, which includes the battery case and wiring for the camera costs me about $50.00.

My next project is going to be one of Brians chips for a digital cam I have coming.
HTH

INshedpicker

Reaction score
shrtcirkt, can you give up the Part # for that potting box, or size info?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom