Timer Question

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Maybe Tinhorn can answer this question.  In looking the operation of the standard 555 timer it appears that the timer merely takes a PIR event in and delays it for the determined amount of time, basically taking a trigger from a deer and ensuring the deer has time to walk off before triggering the camera.
I am looking to have the camera take a single picture at the initial PIR trigger then disable the relay operating the shutter for the determined amount of time. Can anyone offer clarification?

Possum

Reaction score
I believe the 555 timers do delay the relay AFTER the triggering of the pic.  It works like you are wanting it to.  If the pic was initially delayed then nobody would build it to be a timer.  I believe it will do what you are wanting it to, but Tinhorn or others can back me up if they need to.

Fubar

Reaction score
Tinhorn Where are you? No posts for 6 days. Hope everything is OK.             Fubar

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I am not Tinhorn but I do know a little about the 555 timer.

Once the trigger has occurred the timing sequence starts.  This causes the output to go high for the amount of time you have setup with your RC network.  Also, the trigger value has to return high before the RC network times out or it will continue to time and the output will stay high.  The only way to get the relay to go off is to use two 555 timers and configure them together.
I believe Tinhorn or somebody has this circuit posted somewhere on this site already.
Radio Shack also has a 555 timer book that has this circuit in it.

Brian

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I have JoeD's timer on the bench right now and wired up to my own PCB and PIR. I also have a few 555's in my junk drawer (if anyone wants em let me know) and would not use them again. The PIC timer(joed's) is just too simple to use, All that you need is the timer and mounting socket, 2 resistors, 2 leds,  2 switches and relays and your done. And to me it is way more versatile then the 555 timers.
thats JMHO.
Here is a pic of my sensor board

The black item behind the PIR is one of the 2 relays.
And BTW, Tinhorn is on vacation and due back tomorrow, HOPE YA HAD A GOOD VACATION TINHORN!!!

(Edited by shrtcirkt at 9:04 am on Jan. 5, 2002)

Possum

Reaction score
Nice looking board shrtcirkt.  I wish all of mine looked like that.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Howdy Guys!  I'm BaAAck!

GeorgiaHunter:

Just to put the 555 operation in different words.

When the timer is tripped by the PIR (or any other triggering souce) the 555 timer output "Immediately" changes.  

That is to say:  If the output is connected to the camera shutter, it immediately HOLDS down the shutter, and continues to hold down the shutter for the timer's delay period (determined by the resistor/cap connected to pins 6 & 7)  In other words, when the PIR trips the Timer circuit, the camera takes a pix immediately, there is no delay, waiting for the deer to walk into the pix better.

This above description is referring to a SINGLE stage timer which is normally only used when the PIR's trigger time is only a short pulse (like the Lampson PIR) and the shutter needs to be held in for a longer length of time to insure teh camera fires.

To do what you want, which is: "trip the camera, then have a delay before the cam can take another pix" then you need a "TWO-Stage" Timer

One stage is set to 1 min (let's say) and the other to 10 seconds (to trip the camera shutter, and hold it in for 10 seconds, to insure the camera fires)

When the PIR triggers the timer, the shutter gets tripped for 10 seconds <Immediately> (and that timer stage times out and resets) but that 10 second stage cannot be triggered again untill the Long Time Delay stage times out (1 min maybe)

I posted a schematic on the forum somewhere to do what you want, using TLC-555's

BUT

I agree with ShrtCirkt, JoeD's Timer gets the job done with only a handfull of components - Simple to build too, and does EXACTLY what you want, with a few extras thrown in...........

Tinhorn

Fubar

Reaction score
Tinhorn  Good to have you back. I was gettin ready to get together a search party.                 Fubar

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn,
I was having a difficult time understanding how this worked. I guess the OWL will only take 1 pic no matter how long you hold the shutter. I am looking to build a design which will work with another camera
(digital) someday, but have an OWL at present. In looking at the design it appeared that the camera would continue to fire through the timer period and that was not what I wanted. I have modified the design to let the PIR trigger through fro 3 secs, then disable the shutter for a programmed amount of time. I currently have a dip switch installed with a resistor bank which gives me numerous selections between 1 min and 1.5 hours for the delay(disable).

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
I'm getting to the point where I have enough trail cameras and want to build one for a staging area and need more info on the timer ect....how to add..ect.
I know the relay ends go to it...and from it the leads go to the camera.
Does it have it's own battery supply? Suggestions?
I've looked at the 555 timer kit from Amazon electrics that's adjustable from 2min--2.3hours but the specs say it rund off 12volts? How do you change this? Or will my 6 volt battery supply push it for normal operation modes?

Any links, kits, web pages NOT already here at JHP would be appreciated.(I've been accused of being addicted to this web site already by my wife and am almost done reading all the threads....LOL) Is that so wrong?

Thanks all.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Hi,  My name is Mike and I'm a cam-aholic..........   We have a support group that meets on tuesdays and thursdays.  Yea,  It gets bad when you start posting alone.  

The mods arn't all that mature for the variable timer Jon has developed but it will probably be the cheapest to build and should do the job.   Otherwise I would recommend one of briand chips.   they will be just as easy to put together as one of the 555's and do a whole lot more.  Since you read all the posts you already know this, but they are impressive.  You get the selectable delay modes, counter, 38 pis shutdown, refreash, and security shutdown if you want it.  You should be able to get all the parts for less than $20 ($7 of that is shipping) and build it yourself or get it from brian ready to go for $33.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
First of all Welcome to JHP IAbowhunter. No that isn't so wrong,just ask anyone on here. HeHe
There are some guys on here that have chips,boards and complete timers. Brian,Hamiltoe, JoeD and a few others have some wonderful timer boards. I use Brians chip and my own boards. I am sure one of them can help you with all your needs. Good luck and enjoy.

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
Well then....I'm looking for a board, to control my cam in a staging area. ANYONE with a complete board for sale, or an idea on how to make the AMAZON ELECTRIC work on 6 volts feel free to post or drop me a message...the wife read all the posts to this and she's not smiling....is there a support group for the other half?!? And is the time restricted so I can have MY time to browse?!  LOL

Again thank you all.

Handcannon

Reaction score
Hey there IA Bowhunter don't forget the two stage timer of Tinhorn's,they're easy to build and they work great too! Been using these since before the new High Tech ones were posted on the forum,all parts can be found at your local Radio Shack.  Good Luck

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
Okay I've been doing so asking and all that other good stuff, I found out that Amazon Electrics time switch from 8-8192 seconds part # CPS152 for $11.95 will run with a min of 4.3 volts to a max of 15 volts without modification.  Now the million dollar question...if I'm right the switch will mount between the battery pack and the PIR, and when an event is triggered the "timer" will shut dowm...and power back up with whatever delay was set with it....now upon reset it shouldn't take a false picture but rather just sit idle AFTER power supply reset....the game camera will tigger and the cycle will run again...DID I GET it RIGHT?

Well if not feel free to correct me.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
IAbowhunter.  For the work involved in building one go with a control chip.  If you cut power to the pir it will false on startup unless you somehow take the camera out of the loop.

you might want to go into your profile and add you email address

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
Okay I added my email.....now your telling me that the 555 WILL false trip the PIR? Or will it go idle? I'm not sure if the timer kit cuts power I'm assuming....i could be wrong. Maybe you'll know?

Tell me about the controller?

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I'm kinda lost now too.   I haven't looked ant the "amazon time switch".  I thought you were talking about cutting power to the pir.  If you do that it will take a pic during warm-up.  timers do not cut the power to the PIR, they inhibit the signal from the pir to the relays or optos that fire the camera. A 555 timer is just s counter that will not let a signal through again untill a certain time period has elapsed.  (now look what you made me do,  All the electronic guys a laghing at me)  at least thats my simple explanation of it.  

The PIR will trigger everytime it sees movement.  Timers are to do two things.  With a two stage the first stage controls how long the shutter is pressed when triggered and the second stage controls the delay between pictures.  I locks out the circuit , if you will, for a specified period of time.  The PIR is merily doing its thing and reporting movement the whole time.  

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
SO in other words I would have wired the thing up wrong.....it should go like this....
Battery...PIR...Timer...reed relay....camera. in series this way the PIR would detect motion all the time...but timer would inhibit the "delay" to the reed relay. Right?

NOT Battery...timer....PIR...reed relay...camera. In this way the power would have been what was delayed maybe causing my camera to miss- fire, everytime it warmed up...

Sorry about the confusion. Let me know if I got it right this time....

Top Bottom