Timer & Refresh Pulse

GWHunter

Reaction score
I've been here reading since after last hunting season and now I'm building my fist cam.
I've read all 40 pages but this is kinda confusing.
If the cam takes no pics for a long time is the 2-4 secs shutter press long enough to get a full charge flash?

gizz

Reaction score
That's a good question GWHunter. Seem with some owl's its enough and others borderline. I like a little more "closure" time to make sure so what i started doing on my cams with the MS20 sensor is replacing R26 ( i believe that's the one for "test" mode) with a 120K resistor. This will hold the relay closed for about 10 seconds. So in case the flash needs charged up a bit I'll still get a pic - although it might just be of the animals "backside".
Not sure how long the relay stays closed with the RS sensor but would be interested to know. Anyone?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Howdy GWHunter, Welcome!

and thanx for taking the time to review the forum info.....

2 seconds is definitly <NOT> long enough for the shutter press, as some of us found out early on.  When the Owl Pf (I'm talking about here) is idle for several days (or sometimes only hours) it takes several seconds to charge up the flash circuitry before the cam will fire.  The shutter has to be held down (electronically) until the camera fires (or at least almost to firing).....

I use 2 stage timers on all my cams (when movement is sensed by the PIR, the timer fires the camera then has a 1 or 2 min delay before able to fire again) I now have the timer hold in the shutter for 10 seconds, just for insurance.

I'm slowly converting all my cams to use a Refresh Pulse which means the Owl PF can fire within about 1-1/4 sec's, even after days of idle time.  This Refresh Circuit is not really required but with a 4 to 7 second delay before taking a pix, I think some animals are long gone...........

Tinhorn

GWHunter

Reaction score
Thanks gizz, I'm using the ms20 so thats what I'll do.
Man this is like learning to speak a foreign language. It just has not clicked in the ol' noggin' yet.

GWHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn and all!
I never would have attempted this with out this site and all the help you guys give. It is much appreciated.

Cam should be here tomorrow. (Amazon)

GWHunter

Reaction score
Just finished my second cam. The first one has no timer and i changed r26 res. to 220k to get apprx. 10 secs shutter closure. 100K only 6-7 secs? Oh well.

I did the same thing on the one with Tinhorns 2 stage and the timer takes precedence over the PIR's
time delay.

Q. What resistor values should I change to get a longer shutter closure... if possible. Or should I incorporate a refresh pulse anyway? If so how would it be wired?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
To get a 10 sec delay on the Tinhorn timer use a 1Meg resistor witha 10uf cap (components connect to pins 6 & 7 of teh TLC555)

Refresh Schematic:

The GP diode means General Purpose, like 1N4xxxx or 1N914.  You don't have to wire the stereo plug as I did, this is just indicated for my benefit on the drawing, I want to be consistant incase I want to swop cameras, etc.  I don't think RS carries any resistors over 1M so will have to put 2 - 1M's and a 380K in series to get the 2.4 meg.  I just happen to have a handfull of 2.4M in my junk box......

Tinhorn

GWHunter

Reaction score
My apologies Tinhorn. I went back and found an earlier post that explained the extra time for shutter closure that I had read but forgot. It's kinda difficult to take in all at once. But the schematic for the refresh pulse will not show up on the post. Could you be so kind to post it again. The photo point site must be down also and its not on the msn site.

Many Thanks!  :)

IMPORTANT:  
that 220K resistor connected to pins 6/7 of the 2nd stage should be increased to over 500K.  I've been using 1M the past few months.

REASON:
220K presses the Shutter Button 2 seconds which is sometimes not long enough on some cameras.  The Flash Circuit sometimes takes over 2 seconds to charge back up, especially after setting out all nite in cold weather, and the camera won't fire.  

Increasing that resistor will hold the shutter on longer (10 seconds with 1M) and insures that the camera fires.

On those cameras that have a bad delay, I built a Flash Refresh Circuit to keep the camera's flash charged.  This problem has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Posts: 859 | Joined Mar. 2001 | Posted on: 8:29 am on Nov. 16, 2001 | IP  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I guess PhotoPoint is down like you said,  that's why no pix.   I'll put it on the Jesse Pix Page too

the circuits will work on the RS PIRs.  The 2 stage Timer's current draw depends a lot on the timing resistors used off pin's 6 & 7 but with 1 meg resistors each, the current is about .8 ma's

The Refresh Cirucit is about .3 or .4 ma's

This is using the TLC555's, using the straight 555's current would be 10X greater

A 2 stage timer is not needed with the Refresh Circuit BTW, it can work in conjuction with the relay installed in the PIR

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom