timer

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
tinhorn welby or any others that can explain

can you explain how the timer that welby and tinhorn posted will keep the cameras from shutting down i have built one on a breadboard and it works  and tinhorn told me on the old forum  that it was holding the shutter in for the entire time and if that delay is beyond 4-5mins the cameras will shut down   i need one that will trigger the shutter briefly maybe 2-4 secs and then have a delay between pics of approx 15-25 mins for feed stations.   im afraid if i use it the way i had it working on my breadboard holding the shutter down for the 3 min delay it will really wear some batteries out.    if you can help explain to me what i need to do .   thanks alot.

(Edited by SWAMPFOOT at 8:12 pm on Mar. 27, 2001)

jayber

Reaction score
I was just about to compose a thread on the same subject.  I have been pondering about how Tinhorn's 2-stage timer works: Does the timer circuit run in delay mode only or can continuous operation take place?  The first stage is to reset the camera and the second for delay between pics?  What's the likelihood for 2 delay options (ie. 5 min or 15 min)?  Now I can see that being REALLY valuable, along with continuous operation option!  Anybody have that worked out already????

Tinhorn

Reaction score
SwampFoot and JayBer

didn't mean to be ignoring your post Swampfoot, sorry, but it is so hard to explain I hesitated at the task but here goes........

2 stage timers:

there are actually 2 ways to make the 2 stage timer but the component count is about the same.  

Way One:

the trigger from the Motion Sensor trips a 2-4 sec timer which simultaneously trips the camera and also a 2 min timer.  When this 2nd timer is triggered it "turns Off" the 2-4 sec timer until 2 min's is up so any more motion sensor triggers are ignored. (for 2 min's)

The 2 min stage does this by grounding out the voltage of pin 4 (using a transistor)  

If volts at pin 4 of a 555 timer is zero, it is NOT allowed to turned on.  You can also momentariy ground out the volts at pin 4 to RESET the timer so if you don't want to wait 2 min's for it to time out naturally, ground out pin 4  (BUT,  have to connect pin 4 to Positive battery volts using a 1 or 2 k resistor (otherwise, you would be dead shorting the power supply))

Way Two:

The 2nd way uses the same components as way one but they work differently (this is my preferred way)

The 1st stage is a 2 min stage and is triggered by the Motion Sensor.  When it is triggered, it immediately triggers a 2nd stage that is timed for 2-4 sec's.  This stage triggers the camera for 2-4 seconds only.  Any more motion sensor triggers on the 2 min stage are ignored by that stage until 2 min's is up

so, both 2 stage timers only press the camera button 2 to 4 seconds.  no matter what, the button is only (electronically) pressed 2 to 4 seconds....

If you can build a one stage timer, then you can build the 2 stage timer.   Both stages are almost Identical, some parts are changed to adjust the delay is all, and they have to interact with each other using a transistor........

Well, now you know why I hesitated.......told you it's hard to explain  

Tinhorn

quackmaster

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn

I know I've asked you this before, (and it is buried back in the Tndeer forum.)

My question is the "trigger"
If I'm using the RS unit, and am building your "modified" timer posted in tndeer, I connect the (+) timer connection to PIN 2 or red speaker wire, the (-) to black negative battery wire, or black speaker wire. Do I, or can I also hook the "trigger" in the diagram to the negative battery wire? Or does it need to be "triggered" by something else.

This is why I like mechanical things. I can see it working! I usually can't see electricity working until I mess up and let the smoke out.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
quackmaster,you and I have the same problem, I also can fix just about anything that I can physically see and is mechanical in nature. By let the voltage flow and I am usually lost with out a wiring diagram showing where each and every wire goes and to what.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
quackmaster

Try this:

Use the same battery for the Timer and RS Motion Sensor

The Timer (+) connection goes to Battery (+)
The Timer (-) connection goes to Battery (-)
The Timer Trigger goes to Red Speaker Wire of RS Motion Sensor
The Black Speaker wire goes no-where

quackmaster

Reaction score
Hey Buckrider, welcome aboard!
It's nice to see some more "southerners" around here.  Ther are a few from Lousiana and Mississippi though.  Where is Terrell, Texas?

THANKS TINHORN!
I can follow those directions. When it comes to electrical stuff, I need take baby steps.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
tinhorn
thanks alot for the post on how the timers work i knew it was alot to ask to have someone explain how it worked thanks alot for your time and  effort to putting it into words. i will read the post many times .   i have the timer working but i need to get my resistors and caps the way i want them for the delays i need .   thanks again greatly appreciated

wvhunter

Reaction score
Ok, now for what is probably a very dumb question.  On the output of the timer do you still use the reed relay?  I have 1 cam built using the RS PIR and everything worked fine other than I put it at a feeder for it's trial run and it took 24 pics in less than 24 hours.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
wvhunter

Yes, you still need the relay on the Timer, the relay's contacts is what connects to the camera to electronically press the shutter button.

Tinhorn

quackmaster

Reaction score
Hello Tinhorn

Another dumb question.

In your "modified" timer, you have an additional battery wired in on the right of the schematic.
Would it serve the same purpose if I wired two nine volts in parallel on the PIR? Or is this battery just powering the timer, needing its own power source.
I think we've covered this before, but I went back and couldn't find it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Quackmaster

Are you using a solonoid to push the camera button?  I belive the schematic you are referring to is what I used for a solenoid unit, I wasn't clear that you were using a solenoid setup........

quackmaster

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn.
No solenoid
I was referring to the timer you posted on 02-02-01 on the Tndeeer page.
Actually here is the old post.
"I actually use 2 versions of Timers. One is listed on Jesse's Web Page (schematic). I used this version on 1 of my cam's But I didn't scan the Board and it's Out "Hunting"  

The other version is a modification of the timer circuit used on Old Ponderous which had been in use about 3 years and I used this one on the other Cam I built. Below is the Schematic and Scan of the Board. (how many didn't know you could scan physical objects, raise your hands) (I didn't want to slow the board down any so posted the addresses)

It has the same components, only re-arranged as the version on Jesse's Site. This will be my favorite ciruit since it's been faithful on the old Movement Camera and I will build it for the rest of the Cam's I put together.

The Printed Circuit Board came from RS, notice how I used a laundry marker to indicate the copper traces, this helps me a lot.

Board

<a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292758&a=9585898&p=39840218&Sequence=0&res=high" target="_blank"><a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292...=0&res=high" target="_blank">http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292...=0&res=high</a>[/ URL]

Schematic

<a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292758&a=9585898&p=39840219&Sequence=0&res=high" target="_blank"><a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292...=0&res=high" target="_blank">http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1292...=0&res=high</a>[/ URL]

Tinhorn

Oh, forgot, I used the Old LED's and not the new, low current ones listed on Jesse's Page. Be sure and use the proper resistor values for R7 & 8. If you use 9 or 12 volts, and the Old LED's, "

My question was, isn't the battery wired into the timer just an auxilary?

(Edited by quackmaster at 9:16 am on April 3, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
quackmaster

Ok, got ya!

That battery powers the timer and the MS20 (in my case) (see on the left side where the (+) & (-) go to MS20 Motion Sensor)

but in your case, I guess you are using a 9 volt for the RS sensor,  which will work on the timer too (up the LED resistors to about 380 ohms (for the regular LED's, that is)

Tinhorn

tdixon

Reaction score
I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO WHO EVER PUT  THIS SIGHT TOGETHER. IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT EVERYONE IN THE WORLD IS NOT MONEY HUNGRY AND WILLING TO SHARE A REALLY GOOD IDEA.(THE HOME BREW) . IT ALLOWS PEOPLE WHO NORMALLY COULDN'T BUY THIS ADD THIS TO THIER HUNTING GEAR. THANKS.  I BUILT ONE THIS WEEKEND AND IT WAS SMOOTH SAILING. I DID NOT HAVE ONE PROBLEM WITH IT. IT DID LOOK UP ONE TIME BECAUSE IT STAYED TRIPPED. WILL ADDING THE THORTEN TIMMER CORRECT THIS?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
tdixon

I'm not sure why yours may have stayed tripped but the timer will only "Push" the button for a couple seconds at a time, no matter how long the PIR stays tripped.

Tinhorn

tdixon

Reaction score
Sorry for misspelling your name. When i said it stayed tripped i meant something was tripping it(my kids). I figured  if deer stay in the camera zone the same thing would happen. So the "Tinhorn Timer" will correct this?

Welby

Reaction score
tdixon, I wouldn't worry about misspelling that old man's name....hah, he's been called much worse anyways.  

Yes, the "Tinhorn Thorten Timer" will work for this application.

(Edited by Welby at 7:57 am on June 29, 2001)

Rossco

Reaction score
Hey
I was wanting to build my own cam and was wondering what all i need to build a timer for my cam?  I was wondering if i could build my own or if i could buy one from a local store(radioshack).  Thank you all for your time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom