Timers and IC's VS. Relays

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have been looking into building a timer for my newly created trail cam. I have been considering using Tinhorn's design for the RS-PIR with the 555 timers. Can two TLC555's be replaced by one TLC556 in Tinhorn's circuit? I am trying to make things as small and low current as possible.

I have also been looking into building a timer circuit that uses CMOS IC's and solid state switching, instead of relays . Has anyone tried to do this? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Also I have been experimenting with this PIR assembly, it is very compact and inexpensive. About 1" square and has an onboard surface mount IC included for $11.95.  With a range of 30 feet, and  includes a Fresnel lens. It only has 3 connections and is capable of driving a relay. I am hoping to make it part of my next camera. I ordered two of them about 7 mo. ago and have been struggling with the timer circuit design ever since. Has anyone else tried it?

http://www.web-tronics.com/movdetas.html

Thanks for making this site so great!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You should take a close look at JoeD's timer before tackling the TinHorn Timer, it's much easier to build and cost about the same

Tinhorn

coyotebandit

Reaction score
GH,
I tried to go to your site, but I get an error saying that "You do not appear to be the owner of this album, make sure you are logged in"

Just wanted to check out your design.

Thanks

CB

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Check your PIR specs again, range is only 3 meters (~10 feet), not 30 feet.

Top Bottom