Timers??

bradleydale

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a commercial timer setup you can purchase from radio shack or elsewhere to plug up to the camera setup. I have everything else working great thanks to all of you!! But I know I will want a timer and those homebrew circuit diagrams get a little busy for my electrical knowledge. Thanks for any help as always!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi bradleydale,
Radio Shacks' on-line store radioshack.com sells some timer kits.  Velleman and others also have them.  Do a search for "electronics kits" and you'll find lots of companies that might have what you're looking for.

A warning though.... The kits that I've seen the specs for don't quite do what is required for trail-cam use.  You'll end up having to learn all the electronic aspects anyway just to get the kits to work properly for this application.  You'll also spend about ten times as much as the cost of building it yourself.  And the kits usually are not very efficient so they use more batts than the home-made circuits.  And finally - they are usually much larger than a home-made timer.

"Nothing is ever easy"

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Arch-

Mouser has 3 different kinds of 2N7002 Transistors listed.  Which one should I order for your Cam Timer?  Also, I tried to buy the NTE-4538B chip at Fry's (our largest electronic store), and they didn't have it. At this point Mouser Electronics looks pretty good, especially when I think about the price of gasoline now-a-days.

1.  POWER  TRANSISTORS N-Ch Enhancement

2.  CENTRAL TRANSISTORS SOT-23 N-CH 60V 0.2A

3.  GENERAL SEMI MOSFET TRANSISTORS SOT-23 N-CH 60V 0.25

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
You probably don't want any of the parts in a "SOT-23" package.  Those are tiny surface mount parts.  Same goes for most any part with a "SOP", "SO", or "SOD" designation.
The transistor used can be any of the smaller N-Channel MOSFETs.  I used the 2N7002 because I had a pile of 'em in my junk box.  Look for a part with a package type "TO-92", or "TO-39", or "TO-18".
In the Mouser catalog, these Mouser part #'s look like they'd work well:
625-2N7000
625-BS170
Or maybe a 570-IRFD9113 (last choice)
>>>>>>>>>>
Don't use the parts in the TO-218, TO-220, TO-237, TO-247, or TO-251 packages.  These are typically high current devices that usually require a higher gate voltage in order to turn "ON".  They also have thick leads that will not fit into a breadboard or pre-punced PC board.

Unfortunately, there is no "standard" pin-out for these parts.  You'll have to check the manufacturers web-sites to find which pins are Gate, Drain and Source.  The Mouser part # prefix tells which manufacturer made the part;
625 = General semiconductor
570 = Harris Semiconductor
General Semi has a good web-site, I've never checked the Harris web-site.

PS......If you're ordering from Mouser, you might consider purchasing some of the 4047B or 4538B timers.  I think as you experiment you'll find them to be much more useful for trail camera timers.  Since these parts are static sensitive some IC sockets would also be a good idea. < http://www.st.com > the web-site of ST Microelectronics - has all the data sheets for the 4000 series ICs in PDF format.

Good Luck,
Archilochus

bradleydale

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I've found (after advice from other on here) that with my current setup with the Owl PF and MS20 sensor in "auto" mode that I do get about a 2 minute delay between pictures. Also, after 2 days of testing the camera has yet to go into sleep mode with this setup. Any ideas why some cameras can get by with this and other Owls can't???

gizz

Reaction score
bradleydale - The problem happens when something continuously moves in front of the sensor in turn re-triggering it over and over. This will keep the sensor relay closed the entire time whether or not you have it in auto mode. When something moves the delay, whether it be 30 seconds or 2 minutes, will start all over again keeping the relay and camera contacts closed. I believe it takes about 5 minutes for the cam's to time out(sleep). I've never had this happen to my cams but I built the 3 second one-shot timers just in case.

Top Bottom