Tin Can Cam

deerguide

Reaction score
OK, I admit it.  I'm a cheapskate. It's inherited.

Cost of the Tin Can Cam.
One #10 Tin Can - 400 cups of coffee
1 cheap Digital Camera - 45 min. searching my kids room.
PIR - Missed the RS clearance, so Picked up an unknown from WallyWorld for $10.99
Relay - Radio Shack - $2.99
Diode - Radio Shack - $1.00
Misc items laying around the house
- epoxy to glue in the PIR lens
- 100MPH tape to cut down the PIR angle and mark the top of the round can.
- empty CD case - to cover camera hole
- Foam plug the size of the can to hold it all in place - one half of an old pillow.
- Lots of solder - 400 cups of coffie makes it hard to get it in the right place, just ask DB.

My cost, less than $15  By rights I should count in the cost of the Camera.  One sold on eBay on 31 July for 12.99 so cost so can we agree on a round figure of say $27.99.

Actualy, I was looking for a set up that I would not cry over if someone were to make of with it.  I hunt/guide the Fort Hood Military Reseveration and the GI's are every where, under every bush, behind every rock.  I wanted something cheep and something that would not attract too much attention.  Since the GI's are trained not to mess with cans found laying around (a costly lesson from the Vietnam days), I thougth this would be the ideal hiding place for my cams.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deerguide

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
That's pretty original. Anything will work to see what is there where you hunt. Let know what pics you get. Yes my son's room is the same. MC.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Next time you can save even more - find an old answering machine and rip the relays / diodes out of it.  Answering machines are common "throw away" items that are just full of fun & useful bits.

Archilochus

passgas55

Reaction score
Now that is cheap. Throw away dig game cam. How long does the batteries last in the Amertac sensor?

Also , does it trips on the positive side or negative side?

(Edited by passgas55 at 9:46 pm on Aug. 12, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
deerguide,

FYI, I almost lost my camera at Fort Hunter Liggett for taking pics near the tank range. Restricted area. Since 9/11 they are really being strict on the post rules. You may want to check but I would guess any cameras on any military isntallations are a no no now. It may save you a long interview with the MPs in the tiny room over what your contraption is all about.

Top Bottom