Tinemaha Bull-1st period

elmacho

Reaction score
Heavyhitter, Glasseye, Bowuntr, anyone else....would love to pick your brains on this hunt as I know you've done it.

This hunt starts Sept 12. I figure the rut will be about done.

If you prefer to discuss off-site, lemme know. Just seeking tips, tactics, experiences etc....

I will probably start scouting July 25 or so......whe it's nice and cool
out :)

Glass eye

Reaction score
My hunt at East Park Reservoir was September 18 and there was plenty of rut activity. I got fights on video every day prior to my hunt and on the day of my hunt, while waiting for my shot opportunity, my bull was busy chasing off another bull.
Unless the Owens Valley is different, you should see plenty of rut activity.
Good Luck !

elmacho

Reaction score
chirp....chirp.....kinda quiet here....

I went up last weekend. All the bulls still in velvet......I keep hearing they rut early august.....these dudes were still all in red velvet.....hopefully they be a lil late in the rut this year....

Thanks for your reply glass-eye. I appreciate it. Please post a photo of your bull

Mark

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Sorry Mark, just saw this post... been scouting. The rut will be over. It's starting right now and will be full rut the second week of August during the first archery season. I think I told you before, your biggest challenge is going to be finding a good bull that's intact. Just e-mail me your # and I'll help you as much as I can. Here is a tease. These picks were taken last week in the valley!! Ed F

Heavyhitter

Reaction score
willing to help you out, as for the rut I spoke with the biologist there in bishop last year and he told me that the rut seems to start down in lone pine in mid august and ends in bishop around the mid to late september. The bull I got was in full rut on sept 17 last year and saw several bulls fighting and trying to mate. If they are in rut, cow calls are the ticket. contact the biologist for more up to date info he was more than willing to help as well. Scouting the area is worth it, know where the elk will leave the field and where they will stop after being spooked. the ranchers there will probably help you out too. If ya need more info just let me know.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
OK. I'm gonna change what I said... a little. I scouted the entire OV every weekend right up to opening day of my hunt which is the day I shot my bull, August 7th (Tinemaha). They were in pre rut starting the last week of July. The bull I shot was in full rut and I saw him breed as well as several other bulls. I have known or talked to successful hunters from the early archery season (second week of August) every year since 2003. They all say that the bulls were rutting during the hunt. I also know from my experience that the bulls start breaking up before the early archery season and it gets worse every day. I saw a big six point intact the day before the opener and when the sun came up on opening morning, he was a 6 by zero.

What I don't know is how long it lasts. Obviously from what Heavyhitter experienced, it lasts quite a while. DFGELK (the elk biologist) posted on another post saying that it lasts a long time.

Another thing that I do know is that you have one helluva tag, rut or not, broken points or not... You are on a very small list of fortunate hunters, ON EARTH, that get the opportunity to hunt Tule elk. Go get'um. Ed F

elmacho

Reaction score
Bowuntr

What's your opinion of the bull in the bottom pic?

looks pretty decent to me. probably not the biggest one there, but pretty darn nice....I think. Set me straight

Glass eye

Reaction score
When I drew my tag I was determined to shoot a bull that represented Tule elk.
What I mean by that is, a common trait with Tule elk is that they have crown points, those are extra points at the top that usually protrude outwards, just like the bull in the top photo. Also, it is common for Tule elk to have non-typical points.
I did not want to shoot a bull that looked like a typical Rocky Mountain elk.

Good luck !

elmacho

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya.....I like the "extras" on the tule bulls.

can't wait to go look at some more.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I just got home from scouting A20 and stopped in on the way back to get my Tule Elk fix. It's more than pre rut right now. The small herds (4) I found each had a dominant bull in the herd who was very busy fighting off the smaller bulls. Every bull I saw (20+) was hard horn. Bugling, breeding, fighting... The bowhunters are gonna have a good one this Saturday!!!

I'm estimating the bull in the bottom pic in the 290's. Every point after the 4th goes into the score. No semetry deductions or abnormal points after the 4th (CBH, P&Y and B&C). The one in the middle will net 315+... The P&Y World Record is 312. Unfortunately this bull was shot, twice (.308), by the auction tag hunter and they were still looking for it. The one in the top pic is in the 300 range. Can't see everything from the pic.

El Macho, No pressure... just have fun and give it your best shot. Ed F

d'hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Ed. I saw a few groups last weekend that were all still bachelored up. The butterflies kicked in yesterday - now they just hit overdrive! I'll be heading up tomorrow (damn work schedule!).

DFGELK

Reaction score
Elmacho

Got your message, The unit biologist has been out in the field doing surveys most of the last couple weeks. I am off today so I do not have his direct number handy. He is a good guy just hard to get ahold of. e-mail me at jhobbs@dfg.ca.gov and I will get you his number on Monday.

Thanks

Joe

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Update - The bull in the middle pic is alive and well. Apparently, the auction tag hunter missed. No reports of a bull killed this weekend. Ed F

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
My buddy guided a CBH hunter to a 285" 7x7 last night. They got on the big one in the middle pic several times the first few days of the season but just close the deal. 30 yard double lung hit. I'll post a pic when I can. No word if any of the other hunters killed a bull yet. Ed F

elmacho

Reaction score
Nice. Congratulations to the hunter. Look forward to Pics.

I get to go look at 'em tomorrow & over the weekend.

Thanks for the update BOWUNTR

coyote 1

Reaction score
Hi El Macho. I'm the person who took the pictures that EF posted. The bottom bull is the one that George took on Wednesday Evening 8-13-09. The shot was 30 yards and he hit it a little far back -in the liver. The bull was walking when he shot. It should score around 280". He missed that same bull 4 times earlier in the day. We found and shot him 4 miles away in a different field. I am new to writing on this site. I do not know how to post the pictures. Let me know how.

Heavyhitter

Reaction score
Hey all just got back from the sierra's, picked up my tule elk mount from davidson's and went out and did a little elk scouting. I saw 2 very nice bulls in the herd on the west side of the road in the alfalfa field. Unable to get any decent photos of them, just a tad to far from the roadway.

elmacho

Reaction score
Coyote One

Not sure how to post photos, I don;t usually do it and I am a fairly infrequent poster.

Just walked in from a weekend up north. Many of the bulls I saw two weeks ago were missing.....did find a couple carcasses though....hmmmmm. Bull groups seem to be breaking up......

Seen a guy heading out. Nice 7x7 in p/u.

all in all a good trip. some bulls starting to break. No breeding that I witnssed, but a lot of posturing......

Can't wait to go watch them again. Prayign one or two of the toads don;t get all broke up :p

coyote 1

Reaction score
elmacho

I am heading up to Independence to work for the week. Be careful when your hunting up there. The west field in Tinnemaha is closed to hunting. Fish and Game closed it to hunting 2 years ago. You can contact me by e-mail jerecca@verizon.net

Top Bottom