Tinhorn - How Do You Do This? (Again)

Welby

Reaction score
Tinhorn - I promise this will be the last time I ask you to share this, but.....

...for the sake of me and the others here, please explain JUST ONE MORE TIME how you install a 10k resistor in place of the relay on the MS20.

And, if you can, will you provide a drawing too?

I figure that a 10k resistor is not only cheaper, but has to be more reliable than using two relays (one on the MS20 and one on a timer) to trigger the camera.

I remember how you said to do it, but before I go and actually do it myself, I would rather have more reference to go on than my memory.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welby, your not as bad as me when it comes to memory,  I CAN'T take a 10 Min Break because I have to be RETRAINED.....

I even found a resistor that SPELLS OUT 10K so you won't have any trouble  ;)

jayber

Reaction score
I don't ever recall reading about this little trick.  What is it for, eliminating a need for one of the two relays?

Welby

Reaction score
jayber, for those of us who are using a timer with the MS20, this eliminates the need for two relays.  

Instead of having a relay on both the timer (to trigger the camera) AND the MS20 (to trigger the timer), Tinhorn's innovation eliminates the unnecessary relay on the MS20 to trigger the 555 timer.  One more relay is not only more costly, but increases the risk of another component possibly going wrong.

BUT....

...if you are NOT using a timer, you WILL NEED the relay on your MS20.

jayber

Reaction score
Welby,
I do use timer circuits with a MS20......so this is valuable information.  Thanks to you for posting & Tinhorn for covering this again.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jayber

I would have said exactly what Welby said except I would have included a few typos and improper english to make it more interesting  :)

Tinhorn

H

hookingbull

Hey guys i have a question?  I am actually almost finished with my first cam.  Everything is going well, better than expected actually and all i like is the camera wiring in.  Iam really considering adding in a timer.  I used the ms20 pir and i noticed that Tinhorn showed the diagrahm which is so so useful.  Thanks to him.  But if I make the necessary arrangements to this board as in the diagram, where do i stand at that point?  When does the timer go, and where do i get the timer?  I apoligize but im very new to this hands on electronics, but im loving it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!   Hookingbull

gizz

Reaction score
Welby and Tinhorn - You guys just keep coming up with better descriptions and referance photo's. I would have confused everyone by now.

khurley

Reaction score
The link showing how to replace the relay with the resistor doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone have a copy?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Boy khurley,

I can see you've been doing some research, you went way back on that one.

Welcome to the Forum

Tinhorn

Attachments

khurley

Reaction score
Ahhh.....perfect.

Research is my way of life/profession, also necessary when a guy doesn't know much

BTW....how do you connect your 6V Lantern Batteries?....alligator clips or did you find a holder somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I use alligator clips but I put a piece of masking tape by the Positive terminal so I can recognize the leads quicker. I also put the date on the tape so I can tell how old it is....

I'm paraonoid about hooking things up backwards and even mark the Positive side of the cam battery holder door with a RED magic marker to make it easier to put the AA batts in right

Was also wondering what setup you will make (or have) I mostly use C cells with the MS20s without Low Power Mods now-a-days

Tinhorn

khurley

Reaction score
My friend and I are looking at a couple of what you'd probably call old-school setups. I've gotten ahold of an Olympus Infinity Jr and he's got an old waterproof camera from his photography days that he's using with a selanoid. If he's still making them we're planning on using JoeD's timers. Other than that.....figuring this out as we go.

Why this switch to C-cells over the lantern batteries (other than weight
)? What kind of battery life do you get with the C's?

Keith

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The C's just are more compact is all, and the life is shorter. The Batt Life calcs show 9.5 months for Lantern and 5 months for C's for an Unmodified MS20 (1.6 ma's of current)

Top Bottom