Tinhorn Timer Question

springdrl

Reaction score
I recently installed one of Tinhorn's timer circuits in my camera and noticed a couple of things about it's operation.  It appears to have mercury type switches that must be installed with the arrow pointed up in order to work. Also, I noticed the relay on stage 1 closes once the signal from the Radio Shack sensor goes low which adds a few seconds of delay.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Springdrl

If you got Reed Relays from RS, they are not mercury switches and there is no UP position? ? ?

Also, there should be no perceptable delay within the timer circuit when the PIR triggers the timer (if the timer is built right).  

The Shutter Relay on stage 2 will close immediately when the timer is triggered, but the Owl PF has a built in delay, as the flash charges, maybe that's what you noticed.  

You can detect this delay when you manualy press the camera shutter button with your finger.  About the fastest the cam can flash is 1-1/4 sec's after the button is pressed, it usually is slightly longer than that when the cam is 1st fired after several hours of non use.

Tinhorn

glen71

Reaction score
springdrl - Is your timer one of Kevin May's kits? I have one and it is configured to use the Regent sensor, which apparently has a negative output. It can be modified to use the RS sensor.

springdrl

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, it is one of Kevin's kits. I apologize for the confusion. The relay is one that came with the kit and has an arrow painted on top. I was going to replace it with a reed type but just happened to mention the project to my dad who mentioned the mercury type design.  It works flawlessly when you position the board such that the arrows on the relay point up.

I made the modification that Kevin mentioned in his notes and feel the board is working since all the LEDS and relay activate as designed. I simply left a separate connection to a reed relay that was added to the Radio Shack sensor and will use it whenever I want to bypass the delay circuit.  

(Edited by springdrl at 9:41 am on Sep. 27, 2001)

springdrl

Reaction score
From Kevin by mailorder.

Don't take me wrong, I am happy with it and plan to use it as the delay circuit when placing the camera near feeders.  

(Edited by springdrl at 11:43 am on Sep. 27, 2001)

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I've got two of Kevin's kits also, but had some erratic results with it, as Tinhorn can testify. Just checked and the relays do have arrows on them - that may have been my problem all along???? Or the fact that I didn't tie the PIR and Timer grounds together as Tinhorn mentioned the other day. Anyway, I have two (probably perfectly good) timer kits plus a bunch of extras if anyone is interested. email me.

dharter

Reaction score
Matt,
  There might be a diode in parallell with the relay contacts to prevent voltage spikes when t he relay turns off.  The arrow might indicate the orientation.  The relay would only work with the arrow in one direction.

glen71

Reaction score
davered1 - I believe there is a link to Kevin's page in Jesse's section on modifying the RS 49-425.

dharter - Kevin's version has a diode on the "camera fire" relay, but not on the relay that is triggered by the sensor output, as apparently the MS-20 has a diode? I added a diode as I am using with the RS 49-425. So far it works on the bench.

Top Bottom