Tinhorn Timer

Lew

Reaction score
Trying to build a tinhorn timer and have a couple of questions.  What battery power do you use and do you use regular 555 timers or TLC555 timers.  I will be hooking the timer to a Lamson PIR and a Canon Owl PF.  Thanks.  Lew

Tinhorn

Reaction score
HI Lew,

TLC555's are 10X more energy efficient than a Straight 555 so be sure and use the TLC type.  The Tinhorn Timer draws about .3 or .4 ma's, at idle, when the Timing resistors are 1Meg (those connected to pins 6/7)

I use 6volt battery's in my units (most 6v lantern battery's, but some cams I use 4-AA batts)   The reason I use these is because the only PIR I've ever used is the MS20 which uses 1.6ma's of battery juice (a lot more than the Lamson or the RS PIR's) and it needs the Oomph of the large capacity battery's.

The Lamson runs off a 9v battery and the Tinhorn Timer will to.  A couple mods, is to be sure and use 470 ohm resistors on the LED's and add a 200 ohm resistor in "SERIES" with one of the 5v "REED" relay coil terminals.  Don't use anything but a 20ma or less reed relay (Like the one RS sells).  The 200 ohm resistor will drop the 9volts down to a safe 5 volts for the relay coil.

At idle I am going to make a "Guess" that a Lamson and Tinhorn Timer together will draw 1ma of power.  A 9v (alkaline) battery should last about a month.

If the Lamson will run off 6volts (don't know if it would or not ! ! !) 4 AA batt's might Possibly last 2.8 months or so, at 1 ma......

Good Luck with it

Tinhorn

Lew

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Tinhorn.  I am close to putting this all together, but having no previos electronic experience, it has been a learning experience.  Lew

Lew

Reaction score
Still having problems and hopefully some one has done the samething I am attempting to do.  I bought a tinhorn timer kit from Kevin May trying to match it with a Lamson PIR.  I think I have it soldered correctly but not sure.  To eliminate at least one potential problem, where do I attach the Lamson PIR.  I made the modification to the circuit board for the Lamson as stated in Kevin instructions.  On the board there are three attachments that refer to the PIR. (PIR trigger, PIR neg. and PIR pos)  There are only two wires coming from the PIR.  If some has put this combination together successfully could you tell me where to attach my red and black PIR wires.  Thanks.  Lew

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't have any experiece with teh Lamson yet so will have to let Gun Docc, the Local (as in Crazy?  :eat-burger: &nbsp expert make a reply, or someone else with experience on the Lamson

(you hve to have at least 3 connections tho (possibly 4), I can tell you that)

Tinhorn

Top Bottom