Tinkering just ahead of the opener.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
A-zone archery opener this saturday. Been seeing lots of stomping bucks around here, too.

But of course, I'm not happy with how my bow is shooting - I have contact on my fall away, and my only option was to tear it apart, clean it out and increase the spring strength to get it out of the way like designed... Knowing full well that I was one false move or unintended consequence away from having a NFG rest on my hands, and literally not a dime to replace it.

Does that stop me? Hell, no freaking way. I tinker with things. I figure out how things work, and why, tear them apart, make it better and put it back. I've been doing it since I could pick up a screw driver. It's a blessing and a curse. I really don't think it was a good thing to pick up bowhunting with a compound, because the tinkering options are off the hook. I do like to KISS - but I need to tinker my way into finding the best way to KISS. Anyone notice the field full of landmines in that statement? I do. The floor has my hair on it becuase of it.

So I tear off my NAP Quiktune, pull all the screws, figure out how to tighten the spring, re-set the cord, clean it up, and screw it back up and on.

How do my hands get so sweaty when i'm doing this?

Bow's now shooting good, but this won't stop me from tinkering with something else to tempt fate.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Guilty as charged, though it often pays off, well I reckon it often doesn't either.

Before a big hunt a few years ago, week of just like you, I decided my Drop Zone needed to a Zekemod or two, pulled it apart for the first time to find the cord was within a strand or two of breaking, but on the outside you couldn't tell.

I took a busted one from the pro shop and added half of a spring from that one to mine, so it got out of dodge wit da quickness, yo.

But yes, taking stuff apart is both a blessing and a curse. However in a world where no one mows their own lawn, changes their oil, or even screws their own light bulbs in, it's fun to break stuff so you can figure it out.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Guilty as well, I love to tinker. Fortunately my bow rarely needs it. That same thing happened on my Buddy's Quick Tune. The spring either wore out or got dirty and sticky as it quit dropping fast enough. He just replaced it.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Jul 9 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That same thing happened on my Buddy's Quick Tune. The spring either wore out or got dirty and sticky as it quit dropping fast enough. He just replaced it.[/b]
That would take MONEY. Ain't got any of that..

Of course, if I did, I'd likely spend a lot of it on fixing it rather than just replacing it. Sound familiar?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
If it weren't a day and some change before season started, I'd probably be laughing at you right now.

Actually, I may have emitted a minor snicker...

irishhunter

Reaction score
Hey rancho I have a new nap quik tune in my parts box if you want it, I took it off my spare bow when I bought it . Its yours for free if you want it let me know

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (irishhunter @ Jul 10 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey rancho I have a new nap quik tune in my parts box if you want it, I took it off my spare bow when I bought it . Its yours for free if you want it let me know[/b]
Now that right there is cooler than heck.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah it is, thanks for the offer Irish - but I can't make the drive, and tomorrow's the day.

bighorn67

Reaction score
I second the biskit. They don't break, period. If you use vanetech V-Max vanes, there are virtually no contact problems either.

On the other hand, I also admire your ability to tinker and improve things.

Dave

cam188

Reaction score
Rancho that sucks,

That is why I have hesitated in replacing the biscuit with a fall away. It would really piss me off to have my rest fail.

BDB

Reaction score
I feel your pain bro, what's the final game plan?

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I literally scraped the coins out of the couch, and found the only drop-zone left in the bay area out at Speck's shop in Newark.

Did a quick and dirty tune this afternoon, and she's close enough to kill.

Backcountry

Reaction score
It's only 6:00pm... I think you need to reset your nock and all your sight pins, and maybe put another twist in your cable... you want everything perfect, right?

T-minus 11 hours to go time... Git some!!!

BC

D8hntr

Reaction score
GO GET'EM RANCHO! I expect pic when you get back!!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom