Tips and location for cotton tails

NavyKayakGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. TRA, I do understand your frustration but I dont live on the internet, my friend. I work 12hr shifts 5 days a week as a Respiratory therapist, I have a family and a home to care for. Usually be a week until I can f*ck around on the interweb.
Going to do some scouting around Case mountian, the BLM lands around Coalinga and Panoche hill area. Anything I should know about these areas?

TheGDog

Reaction score
Anywhere large open areas run up to houses, will have a healthy harvest of Cottontails.
Catch them coming and going from the houses back into the fields.
^^^ This. They sneak up to the houses for water.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Thank u NavyKayakGuy for your reply and explanation I appreciate it and it makes me feel better know that u explained your situation, hopefully u r not so busy u can get out and hunt some bunnies u r talking about. Good luck and keep us posted if u get any hunts in, need more help hit us up, have a great day!.....tra

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Water and Grass green green grass they love it. Can't wait for the boy to get his trapper permit !

Stevehazard

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. TRA, I do understand your frustration but I dont live on the internet, my friend. I work 12hr shifts 5 days a week as a Respiratory therapist, I have a family and a home to care for. Usually be a week until I can f*ck around on the interweb.
Going to do some scouting around Case mountian, the BLM lands around Coalinga and Panoche hill area. Anything I should know about these areas?
See I like it when you just give people the tools and they come up with potential places on their own.
I also like it when new guys ask because it prompts me to do some map scouting of my own and find potential places for myself too.

Case Mountain. Looks to be walk in or mtn bike access from the North West on Skyline. So don't expect to be able to drive up there. There's also a map that shows a no shoot no hunt zone in the area that you first enter so it appears you'll need to hike in beyond that point before hunting. Keep your eyes peeled for other animals you may want to consider hunting later as you progress. Never been there myself but look like a nice area.

Panoche Hills. I've been to the area along Panoche Rd on the South side of Panoche Hills and up into the the target shooting area of Tumey Hills. It looks to be a pretty open area back there. Probably focus on the areas that have cover and water. I'd definitely go up the access road they have on the back side and scout around the different side roads. You should be able to find some water, once you do you'll have a better idea of how to find more.

Once you've gone out there and found some spots for yourself let us know how your doing but do not divulge the more specific spots/areas publicly or they may not be your spots anymore! From your last response and reading the tips suggestions etc I'd say you have the tools and direction to start finding places. If you've studied the maps and scanned around on the sat images, 360 views, etc my guess is you probably have specific spots already in mind.

NavyKayakGuy

Reaction score
Case mtn is quite hike just to where you can begin to hunt. Then its some steep terrain. Nice hike though. Going to check out some places west of coalinga

TheGDog

Reaction score
*Ahem*... for your perusal Stevehazard
NOPistolsORRiflesInLAForRabbits.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Banned
Reaction score
"Except in Los Angeles county where rifles and pistols may not be used"
This is a perfect example as to why I refuse to answer any but the most basic firearm or hunting related questions to LE.

That is not very clear statement. It could mean LA county where rifles and pistols are not permitted period. OR it could mean your allowed to take rabbits with rifles and pistols except the specific areas in LA county where rifles and pistols may not be used. AKA not in the shotgun and archery only zones. So you could pop a rabbit with a 10/22 up on Liebre Mountain in the NF but not the NF in the areas West of Camp 9/Bear Grade Divide?

"Except in Los Angeles county rifles and pistols may not be used"
"Except in Los Angeles county where rifles and pistols may not be used"
If it had been written without the where I would say your correct in that it would be a clear county wide prohibition but it's there so I can't say for sure, not a lawyer.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Ah..yeah...yeah.. I feel ya there. I'm reading it the way I believe any LEO would read it. IF there's any chance they could tell you "NO"... you know damn well they're gonna tell you "NO".

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I grew up in Fresno and hunted plenty rabbit with .22 rimfire from mendota and south to where the I-5 Freeway was eventually built. Jackrabbits were plentifull when we walked the sage desert and the Panoche creek gully and flushed them. They are hares and did not live underground. There were a few spots where there was greenery and alfalfa fields up on top where cottontail were concentrated. This was all private corporate agriculture land , not posted, and only workers were the folks we encountered, with no issues. They even pulled us out of the sand once.

The jacks would break out at full run and it took our semiauto .22 rifles to score. The cottontail scurried i zig-zag patterns and were extremely difficult to hit on the run. But when I hunted solo, I could spot the cottontail at distance and get standing shots. I would guess these corporate farms would be posted no hunting by now due to vandalism, liability, etc. But BLM land in the area would be a good place to check out. For cottontail I recommend checking with the wildlife areas (like Mendota and such) and US Army Corp of Engineer managed lakes that have designated hunting areas (Hensley Lake near Madera is one). Also, US Forest lands with rivers/creeks are good for cottontail in season. But you absolutely must check with the managers to see if a solid projectile (pellet or firearm is allowed or only shotgun). San Joaquin River Gorge above Millerton Lake allowed shotgun and rifle hunting for game in season, but it's been a few years since I hunted there - very good cottontail in early morning. Mendota Wildlife is shotgun only, but I have no idea how they classify a pellet gun. Don't know where you live between Fresno and Visali but you gotta find time to make phone calls to managers of public areas.

Top Bottom