Tips on Oregon?

fulvigula

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am new to the board but have been lurking a while, so I'd first like to say hello. I have learned quite a bit by reading old posts, etc. so thanks to everyone that has shared their experience and tips.

I am considering making a trip to Oregon this fall, and I am looking at the western OR general rifle tag for Roosevelts. I have talked with a few folks in OR and for the most part they recommended NOT hunting western OR due to the difficulty of the terrain, weather etc., and putting in for the better percentage tags or building up points in OR for a Rocky Mtn. Elk hunt. Having a fair sized stubborn streak, I figured I'd keep on looking until I find someone that actually hunts the western part of the state and get their opinions before I throw in the towel. Also I would like to put in for preference points to start building up so that one day I might draw a more coveted tag. I am not asking for anyone's favorite spot, but would appreciate any general recommendations that would get me going in the right direction. I am sure as I learn more I'll be back with more informed questions. Also, a little about me:

Somewhat financially limited, so I am looking for a non-guided hunt this year.
No ATV - I don't mind hiking and have a mtn bike I could use if necessary. I am in decent shape for a 40 year old desk jockey
I live in CA so all else being equal I'd rather hunt in SW than NW Oregon unless gas prices plummet.

Again, I appreciate any insight you might throw my way.

Thanks!

Shay Mann

Reaction score
I take it, that you are rifle hunting. I would start building points by putting in for the toughest draw hunt as a first choice on your application, and then put in for a unit such as the Tioga for 2nd choice. You should be able to draw Tioga on your second choice while still building your Oregon elk points.

My two cents.

fulvigula

Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned that I am interested in the general rifle hunt or possibly a muzzleloader hunt. Shay, thanks for the advice on the application process. I now have a copy of the regs to look at so I will be able to target certain areas or zones. My interest in hunting western OR Roosevelts stems mainly because of the availability of over the counter tags. I have seen your website, Shay and would love to do a pack trip one day. Just need to build up points and save up my milk money for a few years!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom