Tips, Suggestions, and Sources...

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I've been doing a whole lot of reading through many pages on this forum. What are some tips and suggestions that you have learned and could offer the newbie from you're experiences? Even something like housing selection, what's the advantage of one over the other to help us decide which one best suits our needs? Power sources(9V vs AA's vs D's vs ?), PIR's(RS vs MS20 vs ?), etc..

Another thing that I gathered was that there's members that sell parts, completed boards, and possibly housings. Can you post some possible sources that provide these? I don't want to make my first time more of a challenge than it needs to be if I can buy some completed components.

Thanks for any info and for giving us newbies a little headstart!

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
This is just my openion, but its a way to get a good solid workable first trailcam with minimal jitters and frustrations, and learn to go up from there.

1) Use as inexpensive, fairly easy to wire camera as you can for your first. Mine was a Polaroid 2400 FF. They are hard to find now, so something like a Snappy non date would probibly be the best.
2) use something like an ammo can for your first housing.
3) Use an MS20 pir with the wiring instructions here on Jessie's, and just sub a 9 or 5 volt cube relay for the one on the board. Just bore a hole in the side of the can, and use the original pir housing.
4) use a small picture frame glass
5) use lots of foam

This is about as easy as it comes, and all for anywhere from $45 to $75. Just my openion for a first, not knowing your level of ability.

Butch

(Edited by ****** at 1:57 pm on May 12, 2002)

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Cabin Fever Bob,

Search the forum for posts for the following people who are selling stuff:

Brian - Microchip/programmable timer boards and PIR boards (I think) - www.geocities.com/coyotebandit/briang.html
JoeD - Microchip/programmable timer boards - http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/JoeD/index.html
hamiltoe - PIR boards with timers - www.fieldpix.com
****** - Owl PF cameras and misc parts - No website link
msfelton - Pelican 1120 cases - No website link

If I left anybody else out...sorry...not done intentionally.

Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
Hello Bob,

I finished my cam about a week ago and I used the timer/board form Hamiltoe. I can't really say that it's the best because his is the only one that I've tried but as for my experience with his boards all I can say is they work great and they're VERY simple to mount and set up. He provides all the drawings and templates that you need to mount the board. The complete board preassembled is only $70 and you can get out with only $40 if you can solder the components yourself. Or, you can purchase only the etched board from him and buy the components separately. I got the preassembled board even though I can solder. I was like you, I wanted to make my first cam as easy as possible. I completed my first cam for a little over $140. That is including the housing, the camera and the board but since have found much better deals on the camera and housing right here on THIS forum. By the way, I set the camera up in the back yard for test purposes only and got some dogs, cats and other critters. Just developed the film today and all of my pics turned out great, even if it was just dogs and cats. It's official, the cam is going into the woods TODAY!!! I think I'll post a couple of the pics just to see if anyone sees anything wrong. Oh, except the fact that I forgot to turn the time/date function on. Bob, the BEST advice that I can give you is to stay tuned in right here for ALL the help you need. The guys on this forum are SUPER and as for Hamiltoe's tech support, you couldn't ask for better. Check out his website at: http://www.fieldpix.com. I think you will be VERY satisfied. I know that I am. I'll be starting on my second cam this week.

LW

Reaction score
Bob, I used the Highlander Sports case on my first  because I could go down to the local sporting goods and handle one, open it up look inside , having already received Hamiltoes board and my Owl PF I knew everything would fit, now building the same setup again but with a pelican 1120 modified by msfelton Msfelton1@cs.com to use the Owl PF, much more compact  unit.

Owl PF from ****** = 40 + shipping Or prewired $60 + shipping
hamiltoes completed  board  = $70 + shipping
modified pelican 1120 from msfelton $18 + shipping.

mounting the board is simple with hamiltoes template, he includes everything you need including pre wired leads from board to camera and  board to battery pack which you get from Radio Shack. total of 4 pair of wires to solder 1 pair from camera to 1 pair from board, (hamiltoes recommends a switch here and supplies it) A pair of battery leads from the board to pair from battery pack.What could be simpler?  Then boar the holes for the fresnel lense, camera lense and flash hole mount the card and camera and your done!  Easily a Saturday afternoon project . It gets cheaper the more work your willing to do, like solder boards. Feel free to email me at woodsfam@ipa.net if you have any questions.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom