Tired of hunting bird ranches

EVAN III

Reaction score
The bird ranches around So. Cal. (Four winds pheasent club and rahaggas) are like hunting chickens. I was wondering if any one knows where there are wild pheasent in the So. Cal.. I would be willing to drive if I could find some pheasent that actully fly (without walking up and kicking them).

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Imperial Valley!!!

Although a lot of the fields have been posted in the past few years, there are still acres upon acres of pheasant habitat available.

Or . . .

If you are willing to shell out $100 per day, Abatti Farms will give you access to prime asparagus/alfalfa fields which house 100's of wild pheasants.  Most of the Abatti fields are south of 8 in Imperial County.

Call them at (760) 352-0543

tinner

Reaction score
i am with you evan. i have been wondering the same thing myself. when i was about 17 my dad and i hunted rahaguees. it is a nice place and all but the birds are nothing like what i hear they should be. for instance my father walked up on a bird and kicked it not once but twice, uttered a few choice words then unloaded his gun. i wasn't sure what was hapening until he asked me if i was ready, he then proceded to pick the bird up and throw it into the air so as to have a shot at it. at that time in my life i was very new to hunting and thought it was gret, but now i can see a difference. the dog kennels that run out of his facility(gameland kennels) are pretty top notch and the trap and sporting clays are very nice but there is just something about a pen raised bird. does that happen at other clubs

thanks fullsack i was typing and posting just behind your's i guess

(Edited by tinner at 8:44 pm on Nov. 7, 2001)

EVAN III

Reaction score
Hey fullsack thanks for the info, I'll have to go check it out sometime. Tinner to anwser your question I don't know if all the ranches are like this but the few that I've been to are.  My story about Rahaguees sounds similar to yours.  I walked up to the bird, I had to give it a little kick to motivate it, only thing is it did'nt fly it just ran. not wanting to shoot it on the ground I gave chase. To my surprise to Damn thing ran right under the truck. After a few times poking it it with the barrel of my gun it ran out from under the truck.( pretty pissed at this time) I gave up and let him have it on the ground. And to top off my wonderful experence some other jacka** that was hunting in the next field over turned and took a shot at a bird that was flying right towards me . Luckly he was about 70 to 80 yards away and I only got peppered. But all the bad stuff aside I agree Tinner they do have good trap and sporting clays, and the gun fair they put on every year is great.

Well Happy Hunting

songdog

Reaction score
Try High Desert Hunt Club near Gorman.  Very wild birds... but you'll pay for them $$.

Top Bottom