To Die For NAFTA

billrob

Reaction score
“The commonest error in politics,” said Lord Salisbury, “is sticking to the carcass of dead policies.”

Lord Salisbury’s rule comes to mind on reading of John McCain’s delight at the $40 billion contract awarded the French-led parent of Airbus — to build the next generation of U.S. Air Force tankers.

The contract could run to $100 billion and is a body blow to Boeing in its duel to the death with Airbus. Two-thirds of all air-to-air refueling tankers are used by the United States. The contract gives a 30-year lease on life to the expiring Airbus A330 and means early death for Boeing’s 767, the U.S. model for the tanker.

http://buchanan.org/blog/?p=962

1fitspirit

Reaction score
This is just plain stupid, on so many levels. I personally feel like it is an extreme security risk. Who's to say that a latent virus wasn't programmed into the foreign aircraft, to shut them down in the case of a dustup with Europe? I admit the chances are slim to none, but come on, we have to keep this kind of contract within CONUS. Without tankers, we cannot sustain any projection of force, and we would lose our ability to rapidly deploy. I hope some politician somewhere has the 'nads to reverse this ridiculous contract before it gets too far. At this rate, our ground troops will be using Chinese made rifles...

If McCain is for this, then shame on him, and shame on ANYONE who would support him.

Marty

Reaction score
The idea that anything could be kept in the CONUS went out the window decades ago. The only thing that is ever kept here may be the paper that was signed, and the lawyers who argue over it.

Boeing was one of the first companies to expand relations with foreign partners in an effort to defray cost. Now they are crying foul over the ideology that they started. They even ran a full-page ad in the Sunday paper decrying the decision; saying that the NG-EADS proposal did not hold to the criteria of the RFP.

Sour grapes.

1fitspirit

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Marty @ Mar 28 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The idea that anything could be kept in the CONUS went out the window decades ago. The only thing that is ever kept here may be the paper that was signed, and the lawyers who argue over it.

Boeing was one of the first companies to expand relations with foreign partners in an effort to defray cost. Now they are crying foul over the ideology that they started. They even ran a full-page ad in the Sunday paper decrying the decision; saying that the NG-EADS proposal did not hold to the criteria of the RFP.

Sour grapes.[/b]
So you are in favor of the decision to give the contract to Airbus?

billrob

Reaction score
They did a switcharoo with the specs issuing two different set of specs to two different companies thats a foul just like that foul McCain who was in on it. At best it's anti American

Marty

Reaction score
The contract did not go to Airbus in entirety.

I am not in favor of the decision. However, having worked in the "Boeing environment", I can tell you that they haven't learned much of anything over the years.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
Boeing is by no means guiltless but Mc Cain doesn't like Boeing and especially in this economy the Airbus better be a lot better deal if we are giving it to them. Just like tax credits, those dollars going to Boeing would trickle a lot of places that end up in govt. coffers as opposed to the Frenchies getting the money.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
If the contract goes to Northrup-Grumman for the Airbus pattern Stratotanker..the planes will be built in Alabama. I'd rather see the "good old boys" from Alabama pick up some good paychecks. The "Starbucks latte lovers" of Seattle have had things to much their way for too long, why send so much more hard earned tax dollars to the libs in that corner ?...LOL

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Say: Wasn't there something in the news just today about Boeing sending defective parts to airlines all over the world ?
On the other hand, the KC45 is being used by many countries already, and northrup-Grumman could easily be in position to pull in some of that foreign money..

Who is to say some kind of "latent virus" couldn't be done at Boeing just as well..there seem to be a lot of "home-bred" anti war-on-terror and anti American types in some of these hotbeds of liberalism.
Seems like I recall a couple of "left-coast" city councils that tried to oust and insult the US Marines... Am I correct ?

Be at least halfway fair and give Northrup-Grumman (an American co) a look, esp at the airbus deal..just do a Google search for ..
< northrup grumman airbus >.

Then, just for kicks..do a Google search such as ..< Boeing builds abroad > You will find there are no "all American" cars, trucks or planes. Boeing as well as the rest, have much of their work done overseas..unfortunately, NAFTA is here, since the mid 90s..suck it up !

Both Northrup and Grumman have a proud history of building fine American fighting aircraft since before WW2...

chuckslayer

Reaction score
...An update on the Northrup-grumman vs Boeing deal;

Go to < www.cagw.org/ > then look just below the flashing ALERT sign for the whole story.

Citizens Against Government Waste, is a non-aligned watchdog group that watches how our taxes are spent,
and alerting us when outrageous waste is taking place...not a bad site to put in your "favorites" column.

Top Bottom