To gut or not to gut?

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Hey guys, another tread got me interested/ courious

Seems like many hunters do not waste time/energy gutting their kills. Instead they skin and butcher the kill from the back of the animal.

What's the way you usually do it? and in your opinion/experience what are the pros/cons of each method?

I my self have never done the gutless method, but I can see it could be faster and less messy...

Thank you!!

PS. In case I did not explain my self clearly, here is a link that explains the "gut-less" process:

LINK

(HD, I edited the link so it would work. -PowDuck)

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
If I'm on a backpack hunt I'm going to be boning the animal out so there is no point in gutting the animal and making a big mess. Unless of course I have to leave the animal over night or can't bone it out at the moment and have to come back for it.

barel74

Reaction score
I do, only to get to the heart, liver, and tender loins.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Even if I kill an animal where I can drive right up to it, I'll never gut another animal again.
Why make a nasty mess and risk getting urine, feces and other nasty fluids on the meat.
You have to cut it up sooner or later anyways.

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barel74 @ May 22 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do, only to get to the heart, liver, and tender loins.[/b]
I don't like liver and for the tenderloins I saw through a few ribs along the spine to reach them.

easymoney

Reaction score
I usually use the gutless boning out technique. Especially on pigs...

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you have to get the guts out to either move an animal or leave it overnight, i go with the gutless method.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
skin and quarter it, then debone it. its pretty easy to get the tenderloins out without having to gut it.

JNDEER

Reaction score
if i am far from camp or vehicle no gutting.....if i am close to camp (family camp not backpacking) or close to vehicle i will gut...bring back to camp and use the vehicles to skin...hang until i go home than de-bone at home...just the way i was taught and what our family has always done.

jhuhtala

Reaction score
My dad got sent back to a gut pile by my mom because he forgot the kidneys once. I'm all about kidney and heart, you can keep the liver. That said, if I had to pack out a long ways again I think I'd go for the gutless method, heck with that dragging crap.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Yep! Seems like "gutless" is the way to go.

If you guys have pictures, please post them...it will definitely help my learning process!

Also any tips/technique will be greatly appreciated

suavegato

Reaction score
so many factors can influence which you do, notwithstanding personal preference...
  1. Do you like heart, liver, kidney’s etc.
  2. Are you packed in or truck camped near a road or camp?
  3. Do you have help to pack it out whole?
  4. Do you have help back at camp to help skin / share in the tradition after the kill?
  5. What is the terrain like?
  6. What size is the animal?
  7. How long will it be before you can get it to a meat locker?
  8. How hot is it?
  9. Do you have equipment to bone it out or just gut & drag?
  10. Do you do your own butchering?
So many factors… depends on the situation, they each have their pro’s & con’s… You could probably do one or the other 100% of the time but it would probably be “better” to do both depending…

JMHO YMMV

richardoutwest

Reaction score
Always de-bone! Once you have done it, you will never gut again. Beware, states have laws for waisting game meet, so watch that whatever you do - be legal!

bzzboyz

Reaction score
As most of you know, Audad is not the best of meat, but i did manage to haul out the head, backstraps and hind quarters, and of course it was gutless.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Did the same with my Aoudad bzzboyz. But it was taken on BLM land so I had to take pretty much all the meat off the mountain. Gutless was the only way to go on that hunt and for that matter most of my hunts.

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Caped out.

I wish now that I had gone past the feet like you did for a half mount. Maybe next time. It turned out pretty good though.

They sure aren't like toten out a whitetail, thats for sure. I have never been happpier to see my truck as I was when I got out of the woods with that sucker.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom