TO "IR" OR NOT TO "IR" ???????

TOP PIN II

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was looking for advise (good, bad, & ugly) on IR trail cams ...... you guys are the experts since I am a newbie to TC's I wanted your advise.

I have two TC's a P41 & D380 and I was looking to convert to IR ..... any thoughts ???????

What are the benifits and draw backs ????

TP

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Both cams are great for conversion to IR.

The D-380 is an easy mod with just removing the IR blocking filter and replacing with a piece of clear glass. You can cut these yourself. The edges may chip a bit but the rubber boot that it sits in will cover that up and not affect the image. The D-380 can then be refocused easily with the toothed focus wheel on the front of the lens. The D-380 gives you a pleasant lt. green image. The flash from the D-380 however is totally inadequate to illuminate through a IR pass filter. The range is about 5 feet. So, you must use a slave flash with the IR pass filter to totally illuminate the subject.

The P41 is a great cam for IR. The mod is not difficult but you have to have a custom made glass replacement that will keep the cam in focus as there is no manual focus ring. These can be purchased from a couple of different suppliers. The image from an IR P41 is tinted RED. A little too dark red for me so I just convert them all to grey scale or change the color to the lt. green. The lt. green is easier on the eyes and let's you see more detail. The flash of P41 is much better and can be used without a slave flash. By putting a piece of 730 nm IR pass material in front the camera flash you will get pretty good flash range from the unit.(12-18 ft) A IR slave will make it even better.

Hope this gives you a little insite into these two cams.

TOP PIN II

Reaction score
Thanks papa ..... but what are your thoughts on the use of IR vs FLASH ?????

as you can see on my first ever elk pic's above the cow walks in ... see's the flash ... confirms the flash ... and she's gone ... I had the cam set for daytime only but I switched it to 24/7 coverage but once I got home and saw the pic's listed above I hope I did the right thing ????

I had allot of decent deer pic's but never the same buck twice ... is it the flash spooking them or what ???

Your thoughts ?????

code90

Reaction score
I had the same experience with whitetail bucks recently. Had does and small bucks get flashed multiple times and not care. Big bucks flashed once and never seen again on camera. Turned flash off, hoping to see them again (moultrie 4.1mp)

SmokinBarrel

Reaction score
PaPa- How do you convert the P41 from red to grey scale or It. green?

I'm thinking about converting mine too. I have a P41. But, I won't convert unless I get a green or grey scale.

TOP PIN II

Reaction score
would you think green would be best ??? I have seen some grey pic's and they seemed dark ???

Top Bottom