Todays Episode

SDhunter2

Reaction score
Headed out today toward Henshaw and Palomar. Saw 2 big toms strutting just past the store at Henshaw.
Saw 6 hens and a nice gobbler before 8am on public land. They saw me. They scrambled into the thick stuff. I tired to call him in but he wanted no part of it 8:20 or so I see 3 Toms strutting next to each other about 50 yards away. Its amazing what you see in the middle of the week. . Also a Tom across the ditch 75 yards away gobbling. I had my shotgun and bow. I decided to use my bow. They were not the least bit bothered by me. 2 of um were ready to brawl. I put the pin on a bird at 40 yards. they were strutting next to each other less then a foot a part. I let the arrow fly. Whack. Bird goes down and is flopping around. The other bird next to him falls also. What the heck. I'm thinking cool I got him. I sit and watch . they both get up onto their feet and walk to the thicket at the edge of the meadow. No worse for wear they both start strutting again. WTF I hit him but not with the broad head in the right spot. Small window to work with.. I must have hit him somewhere and the arrow deflected and the arrow nailed the bird next to the 1 I shot at.. They gave me the slip. I spotted them 10 minutes later on private land 75 yards away. It felt real good flinging an arrow.
I couldn't find the arrow.
This was way better then work.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Nice hunt...Mine was a bit soggy, but did see some nice birds that I'll add to the wish list....

Whoadog

Reaction score
Exactly why I won't take a shot at a turkey over twenty yards with my bow, too small of a kill zone. I have heard too many horror stories of lost birds.

Brian

SDhunter2

Reaction score
whoadog you got that right. looked like the bird was fine.

Top Bottom