"toll" free lakes??

dazco

Reaction score
I'm really tierd of paying $6-8 to park and then leaving after an hour or so because i don't even get one hit. I wouldn't mind if i only wanted to fish a couple times a year, but i'd like to go 10-20 times a year at least. But at 6 to 8 bucks a pop it gets expensive.

This is the case at Castaic and Piru. I wouldn't mind paying if i caught fish. But i find that more often than not i get skunked, and i'm tierd of spending about  $60-150 a year just for parking.

So i wanted to know of any good lakes close to L.A. that you don't have to pay to park.

2 lakes i've never been to that i am curious about are Silverwood and Little rock res. Are those 2 free to park? And what others are free?

The parking fee plus worms (i always like to use crawlers) plus gas is just too expensive, and it's the reason i all but stopped fishing in the last year or so.

Thanks,-Dale

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
IIRC Silverwood and Castaic are State Rec Areas. You could buy a season parking pass which I think is $35. Plus the passes are good at any State park or beach.

dazco

Reaction score
hey !!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you talking about the same pass that you use to park in a national forest? if so, I ALREADY HAVE ONE !!!! I hope thats it because i'm really excited now. *S*

If it IS the same one, i owe ya one !!! If not i'll be bummin' for a few. *S*

-Dale

bloodsports

Reaction score
dazco,  When you fish Castaic you can park arcoss the street from the fire department and walk to the lower lake.  That is what we use to do when we would fish the lower lake at night..  If you have never fished lower Castaic at night you should give it a try,  I have had several 25-50 fish nights there.  The lure of choice is a Black power lizard!!

Gregg

dazco

Reaction score
Greg,

Yes, i've been doing that for a long time, tho it used to be you could park in that dirt lot next to the bridge. This last weekend i parked across from the fire station sat and sun. But the problem is that
1)- i like to fish 1/2 way around the lake, and it's a lomg walk if you only intend to go for example after work for an hour.

2)-i want access to the upper more than the lower, and theres no way to park free up there.

As for nite fishing, i did that once at the lower about 3 years ago but i didn't catch anything. probably just a bad night, but i will try that again one of these days. When you said 20-50 fish nites, you mean bass?!!!!! I assume thats what you mean because i dont think trout would hit the bait you mentioned. If you did mean bass, i'd be blown away............i've probably caught 4 bass there in 100 outings !

-Dale

bloodsports

Reaction score
Dale,  Night fishing from lower Castaic is best during the summer.  The two areas I mainly fish at night are, The swim beach  ( This is good place to use top water lures ) & the spill way.   Yes, I know both areas are off limits but it is well worth it.  If you plan to fish at night try the following.

1 Dont use a flashlight !  (The light will spook the Bass if it is shined into the water)
2 Dont stand right at the waters edge stand back and cast! (Alot of Bass will be crusing real close to the shore)
3 Work your bait/lure all the way in! (I have caught several fish 7lbs and up that as soon as I set the hook jumped and landed on the shore)
4 Fish something that makes noise! ( Brass & Glass, Pop R, Rattle Trap ect. )

I know you said you use live bait only but I hope what I Posted will help.

dazco

Reaction score
Damn !!! Called Castaic info and found out that a parking pass is $90 a years ! And the only other lakes it's good for are ones i never heard of. Looks like it's gonna be lower lake only and parking a mile away for now on. It's gotten so you have to be rich to go fishing...........Dale

Advertisement

Top Bottom