• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Tom Wharton: A fat man’s defense of wilderness

SLC Tribune RSS Feed

Tom Wharton: A fat man’s defense of wilderness

By Tom Wharton The Salt Lake TribuneUpdated Feb 16, 2011 03:30PM MDT

I am 60 years old, overweight, have a bad ankle, spent over 21 years serving my country in the Utah National Guard and can use my wife’s high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicle any time I’m in the mood for an adventure. Those bits of information should make me a prime candidate to hate wilderness designation in Utah. Since hiking or riding a horse into roadless country isn’t a viable option for me these days, don’t I have as much right to enjoy public lands as a young backpacker? Why can’t I dr...
Copyright 2011 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More...

Top Bottom