Tough little SOBs in D13.

Stevehazard

The shots couldn't stop em they took it and smiled. Bit of cuss'n at the one... he was taking shots like a T1000. Fun hunting a couple days ago despite my fairly crummy shooting.

[video=youtube_share;u0uvT-18JTA]https://youtu.be/u0uvT-18JTA[/video]

quaildeath

Nice spot. Flat stuff makes things more fun. I’m usually straight up and down hunting valleys. How long you usually spend looking for downed birds? I have such a hard time giving up when I see the bird hit the ground. Feel guilty losing such a prize. Those things are such survivors.

cjack

Fun hunt! That's why I got a retriever, too many lost birds, she never misses a beat. All that cussing sounds like one of my typical hunts, frustrating when the shooting isn't going my way. Thanks for sharing Stevehazard!

Stevehazard

Nice spot. Flat stuff makes things more fun. I’m usually straight up and down hunting valleys. How long you usually spend looking for downed birds? I have such a hard time giving up when I see the bird hit the ground. Feel guilty losing such a prize. Those things are such survivors.
Usually 10 or 15 mins max. After that I'm either focusing in on the wrong spot and need to take a break and look later (which works) or the bird hit the ground with life still in them and made it down a hole, really thick bush, or ran away some distance. The coming back later to look for birds your confident were cold folded or didn't get far works a lot for me. Stopping the search will break me from focusing on that area I'm positive (positively wrong sometimes) the bird has to be. I'll hunt other birds but as am I'm thinking about the other places it may of dropped or gotten off to. An hour or two later I'll walk by and give it another look and often I'll go right up to where the bird is. The other advantage of coming back and looking a second time is the sun has moved and the lighting is different. Things that blend in perfectly at first sometimes are seen right away with different shadows, etc. I'll crawl, look at things from lower, etc.

Occasionally I'll open up the camera app and replay the shot on the phone app right there. That has helped at times. Most the birds I lose I believe it's due to them being cripples and they are simply not where they went down. Being able to rewatch footage confirms that, the bird went down, where it went down, and I searched the right spot. And it wasn't there. And while I'm talking about the camera being able to rewatch your hunts and shooting shows you things you need to improve on, including searching. The two birds I lost in this video for example I'm confident is because they were still able to run away. The first one obviously because I saw it but the last bird had to of scrambled away too because I combed over the area it went down really well and it was a fairly open spot.

Stevehazard

Fun hunt! That's why I got a retriever, too many lost birds, she never misses a beat. All that cussing sounds like one of my typical hunts, frustrating when the shooting isn't going my way. Thanks for sharing Stevehazard!
Oh there's no question that a good pup would of run down both those birds. I've been trying not cuss at my ole gun and birds in my vids... man that one bird though, I was in disbelief. My older GoPro doesn't record in high enough res to show it good but there was an absolute feather explosion when that bird got hit. Bird looked like it was hit hard, went down hard, then is like that all you got?

TheGDog

RE: "That all you got?"

That's a good way to put it, isn't it?

Man!... that's Crows sometimes when ya pop em with AirRifles! I've hit em solidly... saw a feather or two puff off on the exit wound side and everything. Then had 'em low-fly away maybe a few houses over before expiring. Same with dove sometimes too. Put big ol holes thru em with a pellet, I'm talkin' gnarly-looking wound channels that included the heart and lungs in the path too. But they don't always drop right away. Lot of times try to fly away, can get surprisingly far before they drop. Even worse when ya headshot 'em. They are basically anchored but they flail around and flap like crazy for a surprisingly long darn time! Flingin' blood all over the dang place! Rats too... headshot'em and their hind legs go for a long darn time! And they'll catch traction with the ground and scoot along like an unguided missile pinging back-and-forth like a pinball across a few feet before their bodies realize their dead.

Does D13 have one of those maps available that shows like which areas allow hunting with gun, and which are Bow-only?

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Does D13 have one of those maps available that shows like which areas allow hunting with gun, and which are Bow-only?
I'm pretty sure the bulk of D13 is rifle legal except for the no hunt areas like Hungry Valley OHV, Condor Sanctuary, etc.
For the small portion that is in LA co there's that antiquated and mostly unreadable shoot map. I assume a lot of that map is no longer correct in that it looks like a good number of "no shoot" zones have people hunting and shooting and nobody objects. Sheriffs and wardens included.

Top Bottom