Tough to Deer Hunt Within Rt. 495

JRH

Reaction score
It's real tough to find a town to hunt deer within the Rt. 495 belt with all these towns either closed to hunting or with strict by-laws.

Bill/NH

Reaction score
JRH, you hit that nail sqaure on the head. I live in Nashua right on the borders of zone 9 and 10, but found it more convenient in all aspects to make the hour+ ride over into zone 8 between the Quabbin and Wachusett resevoirs. It is a whole different ballgame of culture west of 495. Bill/NH

MBullism

Reaction score
Back in my younger days I worked on a landscaping crew and we used to cut alot of lawns out in the Dover/Sherborn/Weston kinda areas. We used to see deer everywhere, but could never get access

Once, we're cruising to the next job talking about our upcoming trip north (we were leaving that night after work to drive up and hunt the next morning). We're discussing locations and strategies and getting stoked for big northeren type deer and I glance out the window....right into the face of a HEEEUUUUGE buck at the edge of the road. It's a wonder the mirror on the truck didn't hit his nose, and I was thankful he didn't snort on me. This deer was book big, well over 200# and prancing around some of the most expensive real estate in eastern mass...
My buddy didn't believe I saw him, thought I was halucinating, but I convinced him to turn around and he did see him too...

There are some real bruisers roaming all those thickets, backyards and woodlots that are so inaccessible... Those out there that know someone and get permission are lucky dogs indeed....

Quilly

Reaction score
you should see the one running around in my neighbor hood in dedham.
well over 200# and atleast a 10 to 12 pointer. i have a special place ion my garden for him. he likes my corn. do you thin he will like my 100gr. spitefire's?

woodsman

Reaction score
I'm working on a sweeeet spot in Millis for this up coming bow season ,I'm told by this friend of mine he jumps them every morning when he takes his dog for a 6 am walk .
I've been after him sins last season for permission ,I think it's a go this time around ,there eating all his wife's plats and he's at a loss of things to do ,so here I come ( I hope ) .
After loosing several spots in Medway do to construction ,this will ease the pain

MBullism

Reaction score
Q- I have it on good authority that 200# plus 12 pointers LOVE 100 grain spitfires

Woods- I'd love to go...what day is good for you?

skipnoid

Reaction score
I hate to rub it in guys (yeah right), but I currently have two home-brew cameras hanging in a 70 acre woodlot in Sherborn! My huntin' partner who got us permission has two cams there as well! It tooks years of asking and waiting, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Getting permission is a lot like hunting, everytime you go out there your odds increase.

I'm Psyched!

Sorry MB, Woods already promised me the spot.

Terry

Reaction score
I have a place where I have several game cameras and I share the pictures with the land owner. He gets as excited as i do about what shows up on film. He gave me permission to hunti on his land with my crossbow last year but I had to decline becuse it would not have been legal. I've just sent my crossbow peremit application in and hope my disability is approved. If so, I have permission for a great little area between I-495 & I-95 to hunt.

MBullism

Reaction score
Those nooks and crannies are definately out there, IF you know the right people.... Let's see, so far I know Skip, Woods, Terry, Quilly....

Quilly

Reaction score
MB...

i saw him again last night around 7:00pm last night. he was eating black berries in my backyard. he is a 12 pointer. easily over 200#. he sat there for about 3 mins before he trampled off..
i got to find out from dedham if they will let me bow hunt in my town.

BTW.... who do i call to find out? not gonna call the police they don't know nothing and they would probally say NO anyway

MBullism

Reaction score
I found the town bylaws on the official dedham website and found nothing specific to hunting generally. I did find the following regarding firearms discharge, but bows are conspicuously missing (legal?)

"Section 31. Discharge of Firearms Regulated
No person shall fire or discharge any gun, fowling–piece, or firearm within two hundred (200) feet of any street in the Town of Dedham or on any private grounds, except with the consent of the owner thereof; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to the use of such weapons at any military exercise or in the lawful defense of the person, family, or property of any citizen.
96ATM33 TR 30: Amended by replacing "this by‑law" with "this section". "

200 hundred feet is only slightly more restrictive than the state requirement of 150 feet from a road... I found nothing else, so I would assume that shotguns and BP are legal....

You can check out the bylaws here.

Top Bottom