Toughest film retrieve location

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Okay you sissy la-las, let's see who wades into the deepest swamps, walks across alligators, steps around cottonmouths and dodges the biggest bears to get their film.

My biggest pain is now with the warmer weather here in SoCal, the rattlers are out and the brush is getting dense enough to not see them on the trails. I hike in with a staff and push around the ground first where I can't see. Most of my hikes are short so I can get in quick.

Other problem is some of my cams I can check while at work and the ones in bear and cougar country  I can't take a pistol with me because of work rules. I hate having my back to the trail while I have my head stuck in the camera unit. I know if I ever turn around and there is a cougar or bear crouched near me I'm going to pass out.

What's your hardships in getting your film out?

Welby

Reaction score
Uh...I buried my truck once, remember?

Yeah, and I got them seed ticks too!  Cottonmouths and copperheads are abundant.

No, I don't have to contend with lions and bears, but have you ever waded through or fell into a patch of briars?  It'll make you look like you had a run-in with a cougar.

And then, probably the worst thing of all, is the mosquitoes.  Ohhhhh....the mosquitoes!!  I hate 'em!  I hate 'em, I hate 'em!!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I agree with you on the bugs Welby. We have Buffalo gnats here and after hiking a bit they will drive you crazy, flying in your ears, eyes and nose. No mosquitos to speak of in the daytime, just plain ole obnoxious gnats.

How aboutr farthest hike in? I've got two cams out that I only see 2 or 3 times a year. I'd say they are 2  miles in the mountains, but it's a climb I only make during the fall or spring.

Data

Reaction score
My walk into the woods is no more than 400 yards from my 4 wheeler any where on our property. However we have about 90 percent pine trees. It does get pretty thick in the woods. I have had a fight or two with those briar patches, and I lost each time.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Most of my setups are 200 yds. or less from a road or my 4Wheeler. When warm weather gets here (and so do the snakes) that becomes an adventurous few hundred yards. The pic of the 4 Bucks was taken in July down on a creek at the only cool and wet spot for miles around. It is hard to setup and check a trail cam with a drawn .45 Long Colt Ruger Blackhawk in your good hand ;)!
  I have been looking for a pic I took last year with my trail cam that is interesting to say the least. It was the first week of Bow Season here in Ga. and I was almost struck by a nice sized Rattler laying on a fallen tree top about 2.5 feet high and I am 6 ft. Guess where he would have popped me if I hadn't seen him first. I saw him as I was stepping over this said treetop lying in the path. With my bow in one hand and my camera backpack on my back made for a very close encounter. I backed away from the snake and just studied him for a while wishing I had a camera to take a pic..... well I did have one... my Camtrakker. I got it out of my pack and snapped a few pics but for some reason they were very fuzzy and out of focus.... I may have been shaking a little.
  Be careful out there, but keep it up... it is worth it!    

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Spectr17

Those cams way "Out Back" are interesting and aroused my curiosity:

What kind of trail are they looking over?
 How long do your batteries last?
 Does the film run-put before the batterys?
(how the sam-hill do you spell more than 1 battery anyway?)

I almost couldn't find one already and was thinking about
 adding "The Clapper" to help find it    Do you
 ever have any trouble remembering where they are?

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
After placing a few cams in some really nasty spots and losing one for about a month (eventually found it), I started borrowing a friends GPS to track any cams in difficult locations.  Just make sure the accuracy is at about 25 feet or less.

Archilochus

PS... Think it's "batteries"

dharter

Reaction score
For rattlesnakes you can buy:
1. snakeprooof boots -expensive; maybe not tall enough
2. snake chaps that you wear with hiking boots - about $50 available from Cabelas and Academy Sporting Goods
3. snake proof camo pants make of Cordura or Kevlar - over a $100 available from Cabela'sWith the chaps and pants your thick boots are supposed to protect the lowest part of you.

For birar patches I use a machete.  The cheap ones at Wal-Mart don't seem to be sharp enough though.

I have had problems with chiggers. I had several bites on my feet and ankles which became infected.  It has taken several weeks for them to heal.   I have still not solved this problem yet.  I am going to treat both my socks and pants with permanone, use thicker socks, use DEET repellant an my socks and lower pants, and use duck tape to seal the socks and pants.  
Before I had just used pants treated with permanone(available at Wal_Mart)  and a "safer" repellant. Be carefull using permanone.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I will not take the camera to my GA hunting property this time of the year (about an hour’s drive from home) because it is in sand country where the rattlesnakes and sand gnats thrive.  The snakes do not bother me one bit.  I’ve been stepping over them all my life, but the gnats in my eyes, ears, and nose literally drive me crazy.  It is also getting hot here with the temperatures around the 100 degree mark.  That doesn’t sound bad, but the high humidity drains you and makes it feel like it is 115 degrees.

Since I’ve put the camera in the back yard on June 30th (and located only somewhere between 80 and 100 yards from the house) I have got five ticks off of me, been eat up with chiggers, and yesterday it was so hot and humid that after 30 or 45 minutes of trying to get the camera to work in a new spot, I ended up with two hundred mosquito bites that now I am going to die from malaria or massive blood loss coupled with a heat stroke.  I was soaked in sweat when I walked back to the house and was cussing like a sailor.  All this only to find that our heat pump for the air conditioner quit working about the time I got back.  The air is now fixed and I’ll probably turn the electric feeder on in the back so I will not have to go back into the woods for another week.  Even the OFF doesn’t keep the bugs at bay.  It almost makes me want to face Lions and Bears - Oh My! ;)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
So far, I have only taken the easy route.  I run my flat bottom FishRite Jet Boat up a finger of the lake, and then walk up the ravine.  Seems to be where the animals hang-out.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 4:35 pm on July 8, 2001)

Top Bottom