Tournament Hunters goals for this year

maddog582

Reaction score
What are some of your goals this year for the Tournament Hunters out there? Myself I am looking forwards to the BDC Western Nationals,NAGDA Qualifing events at Guns and Roosters and NAGDA Nationals in Colorado. I already have an exemption with one dog for the NAGDA Nationals due to a Top 5 placement at last years Nationals. Also have dogs qualified for the BDC Worlds Championships in Oct but probably can't afford to go. Hopefully we can see some new faces this year

Howard

Boomer

Reaction score
Going to be running three dogs this year. Got two of them headed for Worlds in Iowa in Oct. Probley hit the event in Nebraska the weekend before worlds. Are you comming up for the shoot in Dayton Nevada? Its going to be a nice payback $10,000 for first place. Western Nationals the first part of Dec in Lovelock should be a good turn out too. I wish there was more puppy events to go to cause Iv got a good candatate in the works.......
Boomer

maddog582

Reaction score
I won't be able to make it for the Wildwest Shootout in Sept. I will be using my vacation time in Aug as I drew an antelope tag in 065 by Elko. But I will be up in Dec and hopefully Feb. The Shootout does sound like alot of fun though.
Howard

Birddog3

Reaction score
I can't make it to the Wild West Shootout because of work. I'm planning on going to the BDC Western Nationals in December. I have 2 dogs qualified for the BDC World Championship held in Iowa in October. One of them is my 10 1/2 yr old Super Dog who has finished in the top 5 at the NAGDA Nationals 4 times out of the last 6 yrs. (1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th)

Looking forward to running 4 dogs this season ( my new pup was born on Monday, I haven't picked her out yet).:lol bashing sign: Watch out Bryce, even though your pup will have a 1 year head start, I'm looking forward to competing against your pup.

I'm also looking forward to the BDC & NAGDA qualifing events at Guns & Roosters and other clubs. Going to the NAGDA Nationals in Colorado. Looks like a busy season.....running and competing in tournaments and training a new puppy. I almost forgot......working to pay for all that fun! :wavin hello:

gundogs

Reaction score
Dave:

Traveler is only one year old but due to his knee injury he only got to compete in 2 qualifier events. I think I will need roller skates to keep up with him this year. I had him over to Doc Sallie's last week for Vaccines and he tipped the scales at 63 pounds (Reno size) and is still growing. I am looking forward to the next competition season. I will be at the Wild West Shootout, at least that is the plan. I am retiring Reno she is 11 now and deserves a bit of a rest from competition. Trigger and Reno will have to be happy with their "social security birds" as Dennis would call it.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

maddog582

Reaction score
Don't know if I will run Jill against you guys, but probably not. I think I will stick to the Labs for competetion as they have done well for me. Probably just use Jill(GSP) to hunt with Riley. She is a nice dog, but only so many $$$ to go around. Besides it's tough to compete against DD as 99% of the time you will be running for 2nd place:). She is truley a once in a lifetime dog. Maybe you guys should get a flusher and then we could compete against each other !!!! Good luck to all this year

gundogs

Reaction score
Went to look at a couple of Labs. in the rescue last week. They have a trained (they say) yellow that caught my eye..........?

maddog582

Reaction score
Their version of "trained" probably differs from ours. Might be worth a try though.

Birddog3

Reaction score
The labs are nice, but i think I'll stick with the as a friend puts it "fat man dogs". I like hunting & competing with my gun broke open until they go on point.

gundogs

Reaction score
EXACTLY... Dave you got that right.

Howard, I did a bit more checking and the Lab in question is trained for obedience and to fetch but no formal training for hunting. Would most likely make someone a good duck dog with minimal training.

maddog582

Reaction score
Bryce- if that dog has only obedience training it probably would still need lots of work to be a good duck dog. Being steady in the blind,being able to make multiple marks and also doing blind retrieves are all needed. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't make good pets

gundogs

Reaction score
Yes I know Howard. I have trained many labs, this one is only 1 year old I was thinking of doing some training and then placing in a hunting home. Training a dog to do water work and run marks is very easy, whistle and hand signals are even easier. Just drill work.
I will have to put that idea on a back burner for now. I have a litter of pups to work with now.
Here is one of the boys (this one is sold). There are 4 male and 4 female in this litter. Bullet is the sire.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddog582

Reaction score
Shoot Bryce , if it's that easy to train for multiple marks and blind retrieve you should put in some quick training and sell the dog for a few thousand as a Master Hunter. Heck you might even throw in some upland training and we could compete in some BDC and NAGDA events next year:7-bouncin:

Birddog3

Reaction score
Bryce,
I never realized it was so easy to train labs. :confused: Maybe I'll rethink getting one. lol :)

Nice looking pups! Looks like more puppy division entries for all of us. Looking forward to the competitions.

gundogs

Reaction score
Say what you will.:( I just thought it would mean much more to rescue the dog than to have it remain homeless, in a rescue or worse in a shelter awaiting an uncertain fate. They can not keep the poor dog in the rescue forever.

Birddog3

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack Maddog's tread, but I agree totally about trying to find homes for rescue dogs. If these labs were the ones whose owners are losing there home. I sent over 200 e-mail messages to all my hunters, dog people and friends about the dogs, to try to find a loving home for them.

maddog582

Reaction score
I agree about rescuing the dogs. Whether it becomes a pet or a hunting companion it really doesn't matter. Good luck Bryce

gundogs

Reaction score
Different dog Dave. The last I looked there were the pair you spoke of and two others. The rescue told me they were expecting another one by the end of last week. I was in hopes of generating some interest in new tourney hunters or at least helping to find a home for the one.
Maybe someone will want to get started in the tournament hunting and make some goals of their own. This would certainly be a cheap way to get involved and the flushing dog entries are down so placing in an event may be easier for the new hunter/dog team.

maddog582

Reaction score
New Tournament Hunters are always needed and welcomed. I know at the events held at Guns and Roosters in Porterville everybody is really helpful on helping out the new guys. You never know a guy could find a diamond in the rough and do real well. But it does take a lot of work to put up them blue ribbons. Guns and Roosters consistently has both pointers and flushers finishing from 1st place to 5th place in numerous National compititions. Sure is a lot of fun, I welcome everyone to come on down to Dave's club. Would love to see you running there also Bryce as we always have a good time.

Birddog3

Reaction score
Just to set the record straight. The Open Flushing division entries were up this year at the NAGDA Nationals. The Amateur Flushing was down a little. I think the economy had something to do with that. Newcomers are always welcome at the qualifing events and I'm always available to offer instruction if requested. :welcome sign:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom