Tradition: New Year’s Day Lobster Dive

asaxon

Reaction score
Tradition is we have to do a lobster dive on New Year’s Day no matter what the air temperature. It was 39[SUP]o[/SUP]F, are we nuts? No matter, we had eaten up what lobsters we had over the holidays and tradition demanded it so it was time to immurse ourselves in Pacific brine and catch some more bugs. Thus, while everyone was off watching the parades and football, my diving mates and I spent the day underwater. This year with the air so cold, it actually felt nice to drop into the 60[SUP]o[/SUP]F water. Fortunately it was sunny when we took off out of Marina del Rey. There was just enough wind at 8 am so that SP looked more like a terrorist than a diver. Fortunately this wind died down by 11 am so it was pleasant on the boat except when we had to get our wet suits off at the end of the day.

View attachment 84270View attachment 84271View attachment 84272

Visibility was outstanding for Santa Monica Bay – probably 35 feet which is really unusual, generally it is 10 feet or less. The lobsters were still in molting mode so they were bunched up on low structure which made for real good lobster grabbing between 60 and 100 feet deep. Nothing out of the ordinary was seen; no whales, big sharks or oarfish – just a nice days diving and a glass of non-alcoholic sparkling soda to celebrate the day. Indeed, we all had a limit of lobster early but given the great visibility, we decided to make some more exploratory dives before going home and grab some scallops for dinner as well. This is a CA rock scallop for those of you who stay dry.

View attachment 84276

We scooted around to some area and took pictures of lobsters – I wonder what they tell their friends? This big thing came down and the brightest lights ever flashed – it was definitely aliens! They are just lucky we didn’t abduct them to a nice warm cooking pot. How do you like the old tire will a ring of lobsters in it.
View attachment 84274

Or the one making a break for it - a runaway lobster no less
View attachment 84275

You can see SP coming up in the clear water and if you look carefully, he is carrying a camera.
View attachment 84273
One the way home we double checked our count of bugs, did not want to be over limit for the 4 of us by accident. As for legal size, none of them was even close to “short”.

View attachment 84277View attachment 84278

A GREAT WAY TO START OFF 2015 AND NOW I'M READY IF LtDan and TKYHTR3 COME TO DINNER. MAY YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL, PLENTIFUL AND SAFE 2015.

Last edited:

eoats

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you too!

Davio

Reaction score
Asaxon,
You are awesome!!!!!!!
Looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Top Bottom