Traficant Likely to Be Booted Out of Congress Today

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Traficant Likely to Be Booted Out of Congress Today

(CNSNews.com) - "It's not time for me to go quietly into the night," said Rep. Jim Traficant (D-Ohio), in a Tuesday night television interview. "I'm still a lion," he told CNN. At 6 o'clock this evening, the House of Representatives is expected to muster the two-thirds vote needed to expel Traficant from the seat he's held for almost 18 years. A House ethics subcommittee last week found him guilty of violating "official standards of conduct," based on his conviction at his federal racketeering trial in April. Convicted of ten felonies - accepting bribes and kickbacks as well as tax evasion - Traficant insists he is the victim of a government vendetta. He's scheduled to be sentenced on July 30, and he is now appealing his conviction.

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Rep. Traficant Expelled from House

(CNSNews.com) - The vote was 420-1 to expel Rep. James Traficant from the House of Representatives Wednesday night. Only outgoing Rep. Gary Condit -- the California Democrat who dated murdered intern Chandra Levy -- voted against Traficant's expulsion. Traficant, who has built a reputation as a maverick and an eccetric during his nine terms in the House, did not go quietly. He was warned not to use profanity, as he blasted the FBI, the IRS and former Attorney General Janet Reno, all of whom had a "vendetta" against him, he said. "My people elected me," Traficant told his colleagues. "I don't think you should take their representative away." Traficant will be sentenced for his ten felony convictions on Tuesday, and he said he fully expects to go to prison for wrongdoing he denies. He also said he expects to be re-elected while he's behind bars.

Top Bottom