Trail Camera Questions

Mergrath

Reaction score
Is it less likely to scare the deer one way or the other? I know that some of the more expensive models have the infra-red sensor instead of the flash and was just thinking as to why that is. Also, is it a bad idea to put the camera too close to your hunting area/tree stand?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Huge debate Tim and I don't think it's been settled. There are arguments on both sides. All I know is that I use the cheapos and I've had multiple pics of the same deer so I personally dont think it scares them away. Another thing to consider is that infrared cams are expensive and given the strong possibility of theft in our area, I aint investing that kinda scratch.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Jul 1 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Huge debate Tim and I don't think it's been settled. There are arguments on both sides. All I know is that I use the cheapos and I've had multiple pics of the same deer so I personally dont think it scares them away. Another thing to consider is that infrared cams are expensive and given the strong possibility of theft in our area, I aint investing that kinda scratch.[/b]
SD hit it spot on. many debates out there and there is lots of info on the web is you google it. most of the current debates i have heard and been involved in show that deer DO get spooked by the IR cams too!! i use regular old flash cams....and even the 35mm. that spin after a picture..i get multiple pics of deer with no problems......what i usually see is that if you put it close to your hunting area on a good trail and you get a picture of a older mature deer (with a flash)on that trail...he will still be around that area, however he will just use other trails and avoid that one trail u got his pic on...this is what i have seen from deer in B and D zones.

Mergrath

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's guys! I think it's cool to have the chance to see what is lurking in my specific area but deffinately not at risk of scareing off a good deer. Do you guys tend to leave the cameras in one spot or move them around? What are your routine's?

Thanks, Tim

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I had one doe her in SoCal run off a whole roll of film without even moving a step. I've also seen a pic of a buck turning himself inside out trying to get away from a cam that just took his pic. I've personally seen a a big buck in MO walk off the trail around my cam so he knew it was there.

I've been using my Cuddeback Expert and Leaf River cams in MO. Dad and I check them daily and I pee in front of them to draw in the curious deer. The 2 big ten pointers we were after this year I never got on the cam but I did get this 9 pointer right after I hung the Cudddy and peed in front of it.

I move the cams around until I find a good angle where the deer like it. You also have to consider trespassers or other hunters depending on where you hunt. If I think there may be a chance for other hunters being around I use an IR cam or get REAL creative on where I hide the cam. Some guys put them on daytime only and hang them in trees with ladders, angling them down. Many folks don't look up much.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Most of my spots have several trails in a small area, so yes, I will move the camera around that one location to get different shot angles and see what may be using different trails in the immediate area.

JNDEER

Reaction score
i personally don't like to "move the cams around too much. i will leave them in one good spot for a long time (30 days) this way i keep down the human scent in the area...that is one key thing i will say, don't go checking them every week...put them up and stay as scent free as possible and get out of there...come back in a few weeks to check them. i have lots of cams that i put out, so i guess if i only had a few cams then yea i would move them around, but i prefer to keep them in a few good locations for long periods of time. i usually get my bigger buck pics on pinch points, or any point that has thick cover in it. my biggest buck pic i got on a little finger of trees at the very end of it was a lot of thick cover, it appeared that there was NO deer sign in it. but, my brother insisted on putting a cam up there and we got tons of pics from there. point is, just because you don't see a heavy used tail don't mean deer to frequent that area. so putting it on well used trails, sometimes is not always necessary

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I have a moultrie and a bushnell that I've used. Both have flashes. I've caught grey foxes, skunks, bobcats, deer and people on them. A lot of the animals were at night. I had a doe and 2 fawns that I routinely caught on camera. I also had a decent 3x3 in velvet on cam last August. He spent about an hour in front of the camera for two nights in a row at about 1 am. Never saw him the rest of the season. Not sure if it was because of the flash or if he was moving only at night or if he moved to a better area. Several of the forked horns that I caught on camera at night I saw during the season. So it might be a experience/age thing like JNDEER mentioned.

Mergrath

Reaction score
The more magazines that I read the more I think I should be in my stand between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. are you guys not finding this to be true? No larger deer movement during the "off stand" hours on any of your cameras?

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mergrath @ Jul 2 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The more magazines that I read the more I think I should be in my stand between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. are you guys not finding this to be true? No larger deer movement during the "off stand" hours on any of your cameras?[/b]
you know it really varies from place to place from what i have seen. if i was to make a real "general" outlook of it, i would say most big buck pics i have gotten in the early season are around 400-600am... most does and smaller bucks (3x3 and less) are from about 600-1100am..

in the later seasons (rut time) i see more larger buck activity around 700-1100 am and fewer doe and smaller buck pics.......again this is a real GENERAL outlook, but as i have looked over all my pics, this tends to be the trend....i could just be on my placement of cams in the different areas i put them in, but that is what i see.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at my pictures but if I remember correctly most of the traffic was early morning and evening. There was some daytime movement but not much.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I went and looked at all my pictures. Most of the movement I caught was early morning (3am - 9 am). There was some evening (4pm - 8pm). There was very little daytime movement. Some of the bigger bucks were moving (11pm - 3 am) except during the rut when I caught a couple in the morning. Keep in mind that this is just my little slice of A22. Not telling what other people are experiencing.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
All but a few of the buck pics I've got up there are at night. Until the rut, I'm convinced that those bucks don't move at all during the day. They lay up in the thickest brush and stay completely hunkered down until it gets dark. That's my conclusion anyway.

rougeman

Reaction score
I have 2 Leaf Rivers ( a DB-2 and a IR ) I have the IR set up on our protein feeder and I have the DB-2 set up at my feeder. I have notice at the protein feeder that the deer feed at all times of the day, and as it get closer to the season that the bigger bucks will move at night and just after sunset. The DB-2 that I have set up at my feeder has a flash, and I think at first it may spook the deer, but once they get used to it then it doesn't bother them. I leave my up all year around, including during hunting season. I have 4 1 gig compact flash cards that I swap out everytime I go to my lease.

Top Bottom