Trail cams stolen in D3

Coyoteslayer

Reaction score
I know it happens a lot, but had three taken off of trees. It's the risk I took putting them on public land I guess. I walked in about three miles where I saw a really good buck last year to see if he was still around or grew up. Guess I'll have to wait for the season to open. I don't understand how another hunter would just take from one of his own. I guess I can catch the thief, I got a plan, let's hope it works.

fishnhunt21

Reaction score
You lock them up? We use the lock boxes that we lag bolt into the tree. Have a boa cable to lock it up around tree. The would have to cut down tree or take a long time trying to get through the cable. That sucks! Sorry to hear.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
That Is what has held me back for Investing In trail cams, freacking sad, but it may not be Hunters. There has been a rash of cameras being stolen out there, and these guys are equipped to do it. did you have a address or ID engraved on them?
if so start checking the pawn shops in your area you find them you can get them back.

mike1781

Reaction score
That's weak! Sorry man, like 7mallards said that's the world we live in today. If it was another hunter, may they have a horrible season!

ERSF19

Reaction score
It could have been a bear - although 3 missing is suspect. I had cameras up in D3 last season and a bear got ahold of one and chewed on it for a bit before leaving it.

Coyoteslayer

Reaction score
I had them secured to the trees with cables, someone had to be out looking for them. I did not have my name or address on them, that's a good idea tho! I'm not gonna let it get me down, just going to wait until after archery season so I can get ready for C zone scouting, don't want to mess their hunting up tracking through the woods just looking. It's dry, one person sounds like a herd of Buffaloes

jrod

Reaction score
put a second one up higher in a tree watching the first one. May get expensive but the sheriffs in the area usually know all the local scum bags by name and face. So if you get a pic of some creep tampering with your cam you may get lucky.
Do you use visible flash? IR?

boar slayer

Reaction score
In an area I was hunting a couple years back I came accross somebodys cams they were older type with flash on them he had about four of them covering a saddle I tripped the first one and the rest started going off it scared the crap out of me.
walking back out I looked at them and they had property of usfw service logo on them and other dfg stuff etc on them.
a week or so later met the owner of the camera trap and he said that was the only way he could keep people from stealing them he said he just captured the logos off thier web sight and had stickers made.

bisonic

Reaction score
I had some cameras stolen from my property, really irritating. Since then I've been careful to put them in more out of the way locations and to disguise them. First make sure that you don't just wrap the strap around a tree - that stands out from far away. Next put a bunch of stuff around the camera to break up it's profile - use sticks, moss, etc. I even use some extra camo netting that I cut up and glue to the camera like a ghillie suit. Makes them really hard to see.

CAhuntress

Reaction score
I had a camera stolen in D11, this past weekend. Went to go check it and found out it was stolen, exactly 2 weeks from the day we set it up. It had 2 5 inch lag bolts as well as a bear security box and master Python lock....I'm guessing someone saw it and came back with tools to take it. No pieces were found anywhere lying around. Funny thing is we had another one within feet of its location and it was still there, but didn't get any evidence showing who it could have been. Unfortunate event but it's somthing you think about before you put one out regardless of if it has a lock of some sort. My question is, can people even use the camera itself if it has a password that you cannot reset? It's a real bummer knowing it's prob laying in some bushes because all they wanted was the memory card.

Top Bottom