TRAIL CAMS

MIbuckdropper

Reaction score
Hey,

I just recently purchased a trail cam and its in the woods waiting for me to pick it up...i'm hoping it will be full of buck pics. Who else has one? I dont have a homebrew but it will do for now. I got a STEALTH CAM MC2-GRT.

bigdaddyk

Reaction score
I have one as well. These little devices take all of the guess work out of what is actually going on when the sun goes down. You will enjoy every photo that you device takes, let me tell you.

Hank

MIBowhunter

Reaction score
One who can just have one. I have not bought any yet but have built 8 35 mm's and 2 digitals. Got another d370 camera to build after I get back home next month!

MIB

harleydavidone

Reaction score
I have 6 home brews! And more on the way as soon as the cameras come on sale again... All digitals except for one 35mm. BTW I was thinking this morning, I relocated the 35mm Saturday and I am thinking that I forgot to hit the on switch when I left!!!!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!!

lscha

Reaction score
I'm getting a Cuddeback this year and I can't wait. I've always wanted a trail cam. I don't know anyone who has one so I'm really getting an education here!! My internet searching is how I found this great website. Homebrews sound awesome and if I get the courage, I'm going to persue that further.

Laura

upperEA

Reaction score
Welcome Ischa it's great to have you on the forum. I to found this place on a search for game cams and have had this as my home page ever since
I am in the process of building my first game cam and believe me if i can do it anyone can....Stick around Ischa you'll have a great time in here there are a great bunch of guys here. Only one warning be careful about putting your picture on a post

Melvin

Reaction score
Welcome Ischa!

I have a GameVu and had 2 other digital, one was a Cuddeback. I liked it alot! However mine burnt out the flash unit and when I contacted the company they told me that they had an earlier problem with that happening. I asked if it was fixed and he said yes. I told him it was almost the rut and I only lived an hour from their factory and wondered if they could fix mine if I was to drive over. They said they were BUSY, and I should send it in and it would be ?? weeks.. I ended up sending back mine which I paid $499 for and they now are only $399. So I am glad I sent it back but still upset that they would not fix my defective unit (their fault), save me the time and shipping when I was willing to bring it at a time they would tell me to.

I now see Trophy Tech has what apears to be a superior unit. It does all Cuddeback does plus! Black & White infared night time. Which with the Cuddeback you either used the "startling flash" or nothing. And more! I would look into the Trophy Tech, sells for the same $. I ordered one but they are back ordered till 9-15 from Cabellas. Page 525 Cabellas fall master cat.

lscha

Reaction score
Thank you upperEA and Melvin. I'm glad you pointed out the Trophy Tech. Just so happens that it is gift certificates I'm using for Cabela's and that's the only place I was buying. Looks like a really nice unit. Thanks again.

Laura

NManitou

Reaction score
I have 5 Homebrew's 3 digitals and 2 Video's. I thought I would love the video but you can't zoom and the quality is not like a digital. One nice thing is seeing the deer react. It's pretty cool. I even put a external mic on one to listen to the grunts or shots etc.

lscha

Reaction score
Just an update on the Trophy Tech. After calling ALL the distributers (Bass Pro and Gander Mountain didn't even know they were distributers) and checking all the hits on the internet, I finally called the company and was told in a sad voice that these cameras will not ship until after the first of the year. Wonder what happened. Ordered a Cuddeback. (backordered, of course)

harleydavidone

Reaction score
Hey lscha, are you looking for a 35mm or digital??? I can sell you one if you need one soon (home brew that is)
David

uncledrunky

Reaction score
About how much does it cost to build a digital trail cam harley? I have been thinking about it but not real skilled with electronics so haven't dared try yet. That and financially figured could just about buy a name brand for close to the same price as it would be to build one with out the headache. Just curious on picking your brain with your knowledge on trail cams. I have had a stealth cam for about three years and it still works most of the time lol.

James

MIdeerslayer

Reaction score
harley, do you build home brews to sell or do you just have an extra that you were going to sell Ischa? and about how much are they to build digital and 35mm. where abouts in the thumb are you from Ischa? that is where we hunt

harleydavidone

Reaction score
James, the biggest cost is the actual camera.
For a digital aprox. $200 (Sony p41)
then a controler $60
Waterproof box (camo)$40
uv filter $5
flash enhancer $5
connectors $8
camera wiring $5
eye bolts $2
Python cable lock $15
The soldering is a issue you need be fairly good at, and some electronic knowledge.
You cannot get the quality of pictures from a store bought cam for anywhere near this price, my cams will run for 8-10 months on a 9 volt battery on the controler and the camera with good rechargable batteries will last for 400+ pictures before a recharge.

David

MIdeerslayer, I do build them to sell, mainly to support my cam habit. I live in the S.W. corner of Mi. I actually have orders right now for 17 cams that I am in the process of completing.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
Harley... How did you get the word out about building the cams.. I also build them and sell them to support my habit but have not been able to round up that many folks to build for...

MIdeerslayer

Reaction score
maybe in a couples months i will have one of you build me one about what would the cost be. and how long would it take?

harleydavidone

Reaction score
Coondog, it started with friends then went to friends of friends and so on. I just went to bear camp and sold 4 units to guys that had seen my pictures at the bar one night while we were showing the owner what we were getting at the bait sites.

MIdeerslayer, I sell the digitals for $400, usually I have a couple on hand most of the time but right now have had a hard time keeping up.............

David

Top Bottom