Trailers @ the refuge's

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Anybody know ??? I don't have my book with me. After adding up all the motel cost and eating out I'm thinking of picking up a trailer a neighbor has for sell.

Which refuges allow them and wich don"t ? Seem's i thought I saw a few at Sac and delevan last season. How about Sutter ?  Sure would be nice to get there on thursday afternoon and at least have a shot at gettin in.

Hummmmm If i get to Sutter thursday afternoon there should be only 8 empty cars in front of me.

twoducks

Reaction score
I think that sac complex now allows them in the main parking lots but must be removed Sunday and Wed nights, cannot leave them over the week I believe

steve

Reaction score
Either my memory is slipping or duck season was to long ago but the only place I can remember to park a trailer is Grey Lodge.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Last season I remember seeing them at Mendota, but I am unsure about rules and regs for keeping/leaving a trailer for long periods.
Stephan

BigDog

Reaction score
If you look in the "hunting on state and federal lands" regs, it tells you where you can have trailers and what the rules are.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
I'm 237 miles from my rule book ,Clicker. Thats why I'm askin.  Be nice to me Dog.

I have the master map of all the sippy hole's and hole's of no return on a certain salt pond.
Common Uncle dog  whats your rule book say.

BigDog

Reaction score
Ok, I checked for you and here is what I found. But, you owe me that sink hole map.

Grey Lodge - yes - one week before season to one week after

Colusa By pass - no

Colusa - no

Delevan - no

Kern - no

Sacramento - no

Grizzly - no

So, I guess the answer is no unless you are going to Grey Lodge.

Now, pay up........

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Dang

There's a rule that needs to be changed.
Think i'll get the trailer anyway. I'll find somewhere to take it.

The secret sippi hole map is in the mail. Just stay away from that west edge. I got caught in a hole there two seasons ago and almost went down for the count. everywhere else is pretty good. i chased a Sprig I scraped all the way to the middle of the pond without a boat on time. Buy a cheap trollin motor. Thats the way to go. Most birds are easy marks for a dog half as good as Ginny so it shouldnt be a problem for you.

twoducks

Reaction score
EA I know I saw them at Sac last year and rather large motor homes, I just believe that you have to have them off the area after Sunday and Wed's hunt.  I will contact Sac for you on Monday and get a clarification

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Twoducks is correct.  You can pull a trailer on to any refuge, but only Gray Lodge allows you to leave it.  I believe the Upper Butte Units will allow you to drop the trailer in main parking lot while you hunt, but you must pull them out when you leave.  On the Sac Complex refuges you are not allowed to unhitch the trailer, but you can overnight in them in the main parking lots.  Hope that helps E.A.  

E A Hunt

Reaction score
That helps Mike, thanks

So if you need to get to say the last parking lot then what do you do ?

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Learn to make real tight U-turns would be my best guess.  ;)  To me the Sac complex rule makes no sense.  Guys towing big travel trailers to the far parking lots is an accident waiting to happen.  I know Kevin, who ran the Delevan check station, was for easing this rule.  Maybe things will be different this year.  

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I know you guys are all spoiled on them fancy northern refuges, but I know Mendota lets you leave a trailer...unless they're changing it this year.  

E A Hunt

Reaction score
One would think that being able to un-hook and leave it in the main lot wouldn't hurt anything.

Who would be the person to try and sway on such a rule.

i know if i could take a trailer the little woman might be more inclined to go hunting. As it stands now I don't think she would like sleeping in the front of my truck with a dog me and waders. Never seemed to bother me though.

BigDog

Reaction score
Yea, women seem to be fussy about things like that. Never have understood why.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
It's not you or the dog she's opposed to sleeping with.  It's that danged Barbie gun.  That thing is just downright scary, what with all them melted barbie souls screaming out their horror and pain!

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Thats pretty funny Claymisser. She has been colecting them things for as long as I've known her. She has some from the 60s and all the special edition ones so yeah there are probably a few screams comming from that melted down molded Barbie gun of mine.

D

Desert Duck

As far as I know, one can tow a trailer in on one's vehicle in any refuge, they just cannot unhook it. I was in Delevan A couple of seasons ago in a motorhome with the stinking generator running and had no complaints! Some places say no overnight camping, but where is one to sleep?

MQ

Reaction score
Trailers are allowed to be parked season long at Grey Lodge, Salt Slough, Los Banos and Mendota. Call the areas for specifics. I know LB has a drawing for spots, and Slt Slu may have a drawing. Mendota wants you to register with them if leaving it there.

Scout

Reaction score
I take my trailer to Kesterson, but they require you unhitch before driving back in to the parking lots. Los Banos, and Volta allow camping too.  I think a camper would be the best way to go, since you can take them into the refuge and walk out of the blind to the parking lot and relax before the evening hunt. Sweat lining in a trailer beats the heck out of the bed of a truck!  

Top Bottom