"Training your dog with live birds" question

sean english

Reaction score
What are the laws: Can I use live birds (pigeon, chukar) to train my dog in the city/county limits? (no shooting of course)
Not using the city parks though. Where I live there is plenty of open space, private property I suppose, or city property that people use to walk/run their dogs. Oak forests, etc.
What are the rules that pertain to that? I am trying to avoid driving a zillion miles, paying a bunch of $ to some place like Prado (southern Cal) or Quail Point (Northern Cal) to introduce my dog to birds. No, no shooting is involved. I understand the laws regarding discharging a firearm. But having the pup play, catch a bird. Maybe use a bird launcher, etc.
Any input is appreciated. (I am trying to train a pup on limited resources)

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
I've planted birds at the local park, they ended up on the nearest house only 50 yards away. Lol plus eventully some little boy saw what I was doing and became very intrested and then the thousands of questions began. His mother would not come get him ethier. he bugged me till all my birds were on the neighbors roofs.

Richmellott

Reaction score
Buy bobwhite quail, non-native species. You can even shoot them.

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
I also spray the peigons I plant with quail scent from bass pro shop.

sean english

Reaction score
A friend came by today from a hunt trial and brought me some fresh chukar wings.
I gave one to the pup and she loved it:started to basically eat it. I took it away. How am I supposed to work with it? I have seen that with pointers, u put it on a fishing line and have them point it. But with flushers????????

cali-carnivore

Reaction score
I have been using a bumper with scent. I am no expert but I have been having my wife hide it in deep brush while i distract him and after about 10 minutes I bring him to me and give him the command to find the bird. He starts to work ahead of me until he catches the scent. He then changes his whole demeanor and works directly to the bumper to get it. I usually start him about a hundred yards away. Once he finds it I take it and throw it as far as I can for a retrieve. He is really taking to this and has a great nose. I am getting ready to start training the force fetch. That is his biggest weakness now. He retrieves anything I ask except birds/bumpers. He wants to spend quality time with the birds, but he doesnt eat them. Larry is an 8 month old Golden Retriever. I am going to take him on live birds again next weekend and I will see if I can get some video. I have never been a picture guy so I will ask my son or wife.

64ssking

Reaction score
get your self some homing pigeons and that way you will have a reuseable source

Latest Posts

Top Bottom