Traveling

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I've had the idea in my head of traveling across this Counrty.
Yeah the gas bill will be big.
But I've always wanted to travel across the US thru the MidWest.
And see the countryside.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
tmoniz, that's funny, my better half and I were just talking about the same thing on the way home from fishing today. I've always thought a train might be a great way to see the country.

I've driven it and flown over it more times than I can remember, but always with a destination in mind, not the journey.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 23 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've had the idea in my head of traveling across this Counrty.
Yeah the gas bill will be big.
But I've always wanted to travel across the US thru the MidWest.
And see the countryside.[/b]

Run Forest, run!

(At least it wouldn't cost you any gas money that way, LOL)

inchr48

Reaction score
There's a cold one waiting for you if you get to NW Indiana!

I love road trips. Got to camp for two weeks each summer growing up. I have lots of great memories from those trips.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
A road trip sounds like fun. I haven't been on one in a while.

I think you should go.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Canine.
That is funny.

It will have to be next year. For sure.
No particular destination. Just start driving.
I'd like to see what it's like East of Denver and so on.

I've been taking these obscure little highways and roads going to and from the SF Bay area.
It's amazing the things that you see.

I once, while hunting in Utah, took a road South of I believe it's called Henrysville towards Arizona.
It turned from pavement to gravel and then dirt. Stopped and explored canyons and washes.
I started to sweat it a bit til I ended up at the Glen Canyon Dam.
What fun.

Litch

Reaction score
We started RVing in 2001 and have found a lot of realy nice small roads and towns out there. It really is amazing to just get out on the road and check out the diversity of the geography we have here. Recently, we went from snow in our driveway to the sunny beachs of Central CA and then to the desert, all within a couple day period.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I finally took a cross-country road trip about four years ago. I had just bought a 4wd F350 superduty with real low mileage on it. My son was starting his 2nd year in college in Philadelphia and was always dead set on driving coast to coast. When he rented a house in Philly with some roomates he decided that he absolutely must transport an old worn out hand-me-down couch to his new digs. So the wife and I took a few weeks vacation and we drove over using the I-80 northern route with lots of side trips on the way. After dropping off my son and his couch (which we could hardly fit in the living room because all the roomates took their couchs also), we swung south and looped back to CA by way of the I-40 (again with lots of sidetrips. That was my first time driving east of the Rockies and it was well worth it -- saw lots of places we had only seen in travel magazines before. I'm sure we will do it again, lots of great places to see and experience in this country. We kept telling my son it would be a helluva lot cheaper to buy a couch in PA, but he was really dead set on a road trip -- it was well worth the cost of gas and hotel/motels.

tradman

Reaction score
DO IT!!!!!

I've done it 3 times now and would LOVE to go again. 2nd time was the best. I towed my little pop-up tent trailer behind my pickup and just went for it. Just me and my dog, kind of like Hemingway in "Charlie and Me." I took 2 months that time and basically hit all 4 corners of the contiguous US. Awesome memories. This is one gorgeous country once you get off the interstates.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I once took off to Flaming Gorge. I wanted to fly fish for Browns below the Dam. The wife insisted we take the tour of the Dam. So we took an elevator down into it.
I hated it. Me in front of all that water.
When we got back up. I saw this guy that looked familiar.
I had just finished reading the "Monkey Wrench Gang.
I could have sworn it was Edward Abbey.

I told the wife. Lets head for Jackson Wyoming.

quack_head

Reaction score
Michigan in the fall. New York in the fall. You have to got to New England.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I second Michigan in the Fall. It is really beautiful here that time of year.

Winter is beautiful too, but the driving is a lot rougher.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
When I was a kid we did a couple two week trips from Iowa to east coast. I took my family on a three week CA to IA and back. My wife wants to see Europe and Australia and a bunch of other countries but I would as soon get off the beaten path in the good ole U S of A. All the tourist spots are messed up in every country, you got to get off the beaten path in different parts to really get a feel for the diversity. My son and I spent a week in North Carolina in the fall. The trees and people in the small town we were at were a memory neither of us will ever forget. It was spectacular.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Dang T, this thread is tearing me up! I'd LOVE to do what you're talking about. I've got ancestors buried from New York state to Colorado and 7 or 8 states in between. I'd like to visit their graves one day just to let them know that I know, not to mention just seeing the great old US of A. I visited New Mexico once. It was like being on a different continent. Who needs to travel out of the country to see something they've never seen before?

Here's a standing offer to hoist a brew with you in Georgia, just let me know.

upperEA

Reaction score
I got a few more years to go and I will be right along with ya T. I have been planing a trip like this for some time now. A buddy of mine and I have plans on getting on our Harleys, starting from here in the UP of Michigan in the spring and doing a full circle of the US in a six month time span. I can't wait.....

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Belch a friend of mine just got back from out your way. She said she went just to see your State.
Loved it. I lost interest in traveling over seas. If you ever go out of country though travel Canada.
I did when I was younger and man that is some breath taking country.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom