Tree Saddle, anyone used one of these ?

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I love mine. I still need to get some lumberjack type gaffs to make it as light weight as possible for true wilderness usage but is a great compliment to my hunting arsenal. I may use it in A31 this year.

Once you get used to just "hangin there" it is a great setup. I setup the first time in a known area, but in the pitch black and hand screwed the steps to get to my perch. That kinda sucked, but every time since has been a cinch except screwing in all those steps.

I shot stumps from literally 360deg around the tree, and was as comfy as ever in a treestand. I found one for sale for $70 at a sporting goods store in N. GA on Clearance. An incredible deal.

biseger

Reaction score
As a rockclimber I can tell you hanging in a harness for long periods of time sucks and can actully be fatal. Never used a tree saddle. Are they comfy for long sets? What is the seat like?

Orygun

Reaction score
A hunting buddy of ours is a lineman and spent decades in harnesses. Says it screwed up his back. A few hours here and there wouldn't be as bad I imagine.

Certainly has a lot of application. I can think of some trees wayyy back in some wilderness area where it would be perfect. Strap-on tree steps work better than the screw-ins for me.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
It is more comfy than my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on or any other stand I have hunted from besides that tree lounge.

I considered using my lone wolf climbing sticks with it but that kind of defeats half the purpose of it's small size and such.

I got the assault because it is made of mesh to keep from making my backside sweat, and is very light.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Can you move quietly in it? Seems like sweinging around the tree would make noise as your feet scrape on the bark.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I would argue more so than a usual stand. Your feet should be on steps, so there is just slight pivoting. Also as you climb pas where your feet will be the tree gets kinda "sanded down", hard to explain but on oaks and pines it was totally silent.

A big consideration is what you hang your bow on. It takes more thought because you have no lap to set your bow on as in a stand. I used a regular screw in step with Electrical tape over it.

It is a great product, and surprisingly comfy.

I remember seeing the inventor at a buck-0-rama in GA a number of years ago spend the whole day up a telephone pole to show how comfy. With the right placement, ie no limbs messing you up, you can easily hut 360deg of the area. Great for hiding as you can setup behind the tree from where you expect to see them from and peek around like a squirrel.

I will hunt the NorCal Wilderness next year with mine. I may even tote it five miles back to get on a bear down here I have been playing cat and mouse with for four seasons now. Getting into and out of his preferred drainage is noisy. Setting this thing up at the creek crossing may be the ticket. But that is null and void if I tag one and make Ed carry it out in A20!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I hope you do amigo! He said it here so if you stick one I want to see you hiking out with an empty pack and a big smile, with that knuckle dragger following behind and straining under a heavy load.

The steps make sense. I didn't realize that is what your feet "ride" on. That makes more sense but how do you swing around 360? Are there multiple foot steps circling the trunk of the tree? I need to see one in action.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to use one this year in Utah for deer in the Aspens.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I watch that guy at the SHOT Show every year, and he hangs on that damned pole all day long for three days... he hasn't died yet.

Seriously, I can see where it would be a good option, especially in place where you might have to pack in and out.

forky

Reaction score
I shot a nice one couple years ago with tree saddle in A31.It was first day of hunt in the area after i set up tree steps months befor.You can move very quiet with it better than tree stand that some time make squiky noise when hot or cool.With oak trees we have in So Cal tree stands sometime imposible or danger to sit on.Many times i find a nice tree but when look up No Way to hang a tree stand on it.Tree saddle only the option.
comfy? NO,but i always fall a sleep on my tree stand:skeered: never on tree saddle.I had hanging in there 5am to 7pm couple times not comfort at all.Plus I got a heavy duty one Road trip leather or something .Suck it get hot in SO Cal summer sun my ass sweats and numbs at the end of the day next one i'll get Ambush mesh and don't forget knee savers also you'll need them.
This year i got 3-4 trees set up steps in new area never been hunt waiting for me :bounce-aqua:to hangin there again.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Imagine the waist belt attached above your head, or right at eye level when standing on the steps, then you sit down to where your knees are bent about 90deg.

You are now a tripod, aka my wife's nickname for me.

Better example might be to imagine a gate hung from a post. The post is the tree and you are the gate, simply pivoting on your feet you rotate away from the "post" either way, then rotate your hips and you are able to see anywhere around the tree.

Also if you place your setup with a limb down a bit lower or higher than your foot pegs, or additional pegs you have an additional "pivot point" to rotate around. Image the lineman pivoting around the telephone pole to see the topless sunbather in the pool next door, that is how it works.

Top Bottom