Treestand Hunting in Dzone?

bestrongpt

Reaction score
Anyone have any good advice on tree stand hunting in a d zone. I got a good buck on cam and I'm pretty sure he is the same buck that I saw on this hill in Mid Spot last year. I want to hunt him during archery and this area is pretty thick. I caught him on cam bedding in the area if that makes any difference. Not sure how often they will use the same bedding area.

IMG_3993.jpgIMG_3989.jpg

dthome

Reaction score
They will use the same area, but will adjust their patterns if they feel pressured. I’ve used stand in D zones, but the wind is very unpredictable on Sierra slopes like the one pictured and often destroys any hope of using a stand. I’d use a blind instead.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nick buck. Ive done most of my treestand hunting in MO and some here.

1st thing wear a good harness.

Legally you cant nail or screw into a tree so theres that. USFS also has a rule that anything left in the woods over 24 hrs is abandoned. I guess that all depends on the local forest rangers, just dont tell anyone about a stand.

Ive used a Lone Wolf climber stand with some climbing sticks, i think they were lone wolf climbing sticks too. Some guys use two 10 ft sticks of ladder and take the bottom 10 ft section when they leave.

One thing i found here and back east. If you leave it in the woods people can steal it even with a lock cable. Ive also gone out and found somebody in my stand. Ive also sat in stands that someone else made.

If it has wooden steps for a ladder watch for ice in the morning on top the steps. We stood on 2x10s as kids before stands came around. Back then deer didnt look up much like now.. A buddy used one of them recliner looking things. I didnt like the fact it put you on your back like half way back in a recliner. I forget what those are called.

I put a piece of shag carpet on all my stands so if i dropped anything. It also deadened the sounds of me shuffling my feet.

For quick practice we got on our roofs and shot our 3D targets from there. Its all about the right angle to hit the boiler room or lungs.

Get a climber with a seat that doesnt squeak. One creak and youre done.

Watch your shadow when you rise up and draw. Ive been busted a couple times by a 2nd or 3rd deer i didnt see when i drew. Lots of snorting and huffing after that.

Anytime you go always clear the deck of the stand for coons or other critters. I threw hickory nuts or osage apples up to make sure the stand was empty if i couldnt see into it. Trust me, you dont want to be up 20 ft on a ladder when 4 baby coons and their pissed off momma stick their heads over the edge of the stand.

k-thug

Reaction score
Place your tree stand where multiple trails come together to increase your chances. Mule deer do not follow any sort of pattern like other deer do. My suggestion would be to either build a ground blind or ditch the tree stand idea altogether. Being tethered to one specific tree on public land feels like a bad idea.

k-thug

Reaction score
That’s a really nice deer and he’s only a couple of years old, he’s going to be a bruiser if he makes it to 5 years

bestrongpt

Reaction score
They will use the same area, but will adjust their patterns if they feel pressured. I’ve used stand in D zones, but the wind is very unpredictable on Sierra slopes like the one pictured and often destroys any hope of using a stand. I’d use a blind instead.
Got it! That's one of my biggest worries is the changing winds on the slope. In this spot I've got him on cam twice now using the same bed a week apart. I set out a couple more cams to see if I can catch him somewhere else on the hill that might be easier to hunt. I was thinking tree stand because there is no way to be quiet in this spot otherwise. How will a blind be better? Because I could move it if needed? What about sound of moving it?

bestrongpt

Reaction score
Nick buck. Ive done most of my treestand hunting in MO and some here.

1st thing wear a good harness.

Legally you cant nail or screw into a tree so theres that. USFS also has a rule that anything left in the woods over 24 hrs is abandoned. I guess that all depends on the local forest rangers, just dont tell anyone about a stand.

Ive used a Lone Wolf climber stand with some climbing sticks, i think they were lone wolf climbing sticks too. Some guys use two 10 ft sticks of ladder and take the bottom 10 ft section when they leave.

One thing i found here and back east. If you leave it in the woods people can steal it even with a lock cable. Ive also gone out and found somebody in my stand. Ive also sat in stands that someone else made.

If it has wooden steps for a ladder watch for ice in the morning on top the steps. We stood on 2x10s as kids before stands came around. Back then deer didnt look up much like now.. A buddy used one of them recliner looking things. I didnt like the fact it put you on your back like half way back in a recliner. I forget what those are called.

I put a piece of shag carpet on all my stands so if i dropped anything. It also deadened the sounds of me shuffling my feet.

For quick practice we got on our roofs and shot our 3D targets from there. Its all about the right angle to hit the boiler room or lungs.

Get a climber with a seat that doesnt squeak. One creak and youre done.

Watch your shadow when you rise up and draw. Ive been busted a couple times by a 2nd or 3rd deer i didnt see when i drew. Lots of snorting and huffing after that.

Anytime you go always clear the deck of the stand for coons or other critters. I threw hickory nuts or osage apples up to make sure the stand was empty if i couldnt see into it. Trust me, you dont want to be up 20 ft on a ladder when 4 baby coons and their pissed off momma stick their heads over the edge of the stand.

Awesome advice! Thank you for pointing out some of the stuff I would not have thought about. I got a harness and will use it for sure. Safety is first priority for me. Wife and son at home that depend on me. I have an XOP and a muddy stand that I picked up off craigslist from a guy who said he just had to many stands. Also got 20ft worth of XOP climbing sticks from all for $150. Said both stands had been used only twice.

Didn't think this would be such a tough decision on how to hunt him.

bestrongpt

Reaction score
That’s a really nice deer and he’s only a couple of years old, he’s going to be a bruiser if he makes it to 5 years
Ya I put another camera up where 3 trails meet and there is a couple beds there. Why do you say it's a bad idea? Can it be that much worse than trying to walk through the sticks that cover the ground? Or trying to have to make a move while on the ground but to move is so loud everything in the woods can hear you lol.

Ya he's a good sized deer for sure. Got a second video/pic of him 2 days ago in the exact same bed.

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4012.jpg

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
i always rubbed cow turds all over my boots when i was using stands. Or use fox scent or something to mask your human scent on your boots. Bucks get smart when they get old and you dont want him knowing when youre there.

For the best wind indicator get some milkweed pods. Usually found around a pond or water. They will show you for 50 yrds or more how the wind currents are around you, they float forever. The puff bottles with baby powder barely show 10 yrds around you.

milkweed_pods_hands.jpg

milweed_seeds_inside.jpeg

milkweed_seeds.jpg

dthome

Reaction score
Got it! That's one of my biggest worries is the changing winds on the slope. In this spot I've got him on cam twice now using the same bed a week apart. I set out a couple more cams to see if I can catch him somewhere else on the hill that might be easier to hunt. I was thinking tree stand because there is no way to be quiet in this spot otherwise. How will a blind be better? Because I could move it if needed? What about sound of moving it?
A blind is better because it won’t carry your scent like being 20 feet up a tree. If you have only one window open, it protects scent dispersal a fair amount.

bestrongpt

Reaction score
A blind is better because it won’t carry your scent like being 20 feet up a tree. If you have only one window open, it protects scent dispersal a fair amount.
Gotcha! That makes sense more now

k-thug

Reaction score
A bad idea because another hunter is sure to screw up your set up or push deer to a different location. On public land, I personally have been more successful being able to re-adjust my location quickly. I have NEVER stayed in one spot without needing to move for one reason or another. That’s just the reality of hunting on public land

k-thug

Reaction score
If you are concerned about scent use Dead Down Wind scent eliminator, that crap is amazing. As far as sound, just move slowly, sound is a normal part of nature.

dthome

Reaction score
If you are concerned about scent use Dead Down Wind scent eliminator, that crap is amazing. As far as sound, just move slowly, sound is a normal part of nature.
Glad it works for you. That stuff doesn’t do jack for me.

Top Bottom