treestands

jph5413

Reaction score
well finally after three or four trips out to vandenburg i have finally found where some pigs are consistantly hiding. the problem is that they are just walking circles around me litterally. i found some older track in a swamp area that dried up some and followed them deep into the swap and when i came across couple of wallows i spooked up and sow and her piglet. i am assuming this cause i could hear a larger animal in the brush moving and then would hear a smaller one moving and squealing not far behind the larger one. when i went back to the main slightly open area where the track started there was new fresh track litterly right inside of my boot prints. so i thought well i will get out here before light and sit and wait for them to cross into the open area, i could hear them all around me all moring but they just wouldnt come out into the open. i was wondering if a treestand would possibly help, maybe get my sent up higher where they can't smell me as well? possibly give me a better veiw of where they are moving around me? i dont know i'm running out of ideas, what do you guys think?

SacFireJT

Reaction score
I would give it a shot. Yes, a stand can give you better vis, and perhaps get your sent out of the pigs noses. The higher you are in the tree the better, for sent control. Just remember when you take your shot, aim low!

Lurediver

Banned
Reaction score
I think sitting in a tree stand limits your opportunities of shooting a pig. Unless you're sitting over a food source or a water hole that's constantly getting pounded your chances of having a pig walk right by your tree stand are slim. I believe you'll have better luck covering more ground on foot and watching the wind then sitting in a stand!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
A treestand is a great idea if you're in a place where the pigs move consistently (which sounds like the spot you've found). Get up off the ground, and sit tight.

It takes patience, though, and if you're going up there you need to stay for a while. If you've never hunted from a treestand, it can be a real challenge... especially after hunting "western style" where you glass and move constantly.

Top Bottom