trip wire camera activator

LAgunman2K

Reaction score
by using a trip wire or a series of wires (rigged to some sort of manual device) to activate the camera you could eliminate some problems of using a PIR- no extra batteries, unaffected by heat/cold harsh weather conditions, the wires can be layed out to exactly the cameras field of view, wires can be raised up enough to allow small game to pass under and not activate it, the wires can also be camo'ed.

of course the down side is that the whole set up would make it more visisble to 2-legged varmints, a herd of large game could run through and bust all the wires, a fallen tree limb would wreck it, and it would be possible for game to pass through and not trip one of the wires.

so what ya'll think ?

Stever

Reaction score
Would the wire not trip only once until the user reset it. This sounds like version one of the trail timer that I seen 10 years ago. I like the PIR concept when it senses it triggers then resets for the next shot. On my coyottee pictures the trip wire would not have been as successful only one trip and the snow squalls may have ruined the trip wire.

T

the hairless one

personally i wouldnt have one. I would have to drive way out there to reset it all the time. If you had one behind your house i think it would be ok.

Buckshot35.com (i think) sells these for about $70. I originally thought about getting one of these. But decided not too because of the hassle.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
All of the original game trail cameras were trip wire units.  I had one back in 1965.  One pic and you had to reset everything.  Most of my pics were empty.  It was stolen in 1967.

woodseye

Reaction score
To much to lug in-to much to be spotted- to much scent setting up-heavy snow(here in Maine)-to much hassel resetting. Pir not perfect,but the best going.

woods

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Way back when I had some of those String Timers I seen a good trail coming over a fence so hung a tree stand there and put the String Timer across the trail.

It was one or 2 weeks later before I got to hunt the stand, When the Sun came up, I could still see teh string was undisturbed with my Binocs......what a disappointment but I was already there so stayed.

about an hour later here come an Irish Setter down the trail, stopped at the string, smelled it and jumped over it.  About 5 min's behind it was a beagle, smelled it, crawled under the string.....

The Dogs was probably why the deer abandoned the trail but The Dogs detected the string !

I had several of those timers (@ $35 each) and never used them again, still gottem tho,  ha ha

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
Whatever works....I used a small version detector this way on a problem deer on our small lease whenever I was staying at camp a few days.  Went to Walmart and got a couple of the small battery operated clocks, took the battery covers off them, taped a string around the battery and tied it off to a tree across his scrapes.....5:25 am before daylight darn it. But it worked!  But now I'm in business with my new cam just built...Thanks Jesse and all the ones who put this stuff together.  Happy Hunting!

John A B

Reaction score
May be a photo eye or electric eye? I have seen them that run off or 12 volts a machine shop. The creatures could stand right in front of the camera and it would not go unless the beam was broke.  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I never was a fan of those string cameras or trail counters. With the string counters, how do you know what the animal was? Was it a cow, dog or human that tripped it? The active lasers have two units and they have to be aimed pretty precisely. Less falsing but more expensive and more chance of being seen.

One activation method I've seen a lot of biologists use is a mat contact switch like they use in home burlgar alarms. It's basically a mat or board with the two contacts open and when the target animal steps on the mat or board the contact is closed to activate the camera. This seemed to help keep the animals in range and centered in the film instead of the butts or just heads in pics. They also used funnels to steer the animals onto the mats and boards.

LAgunman2K

Reaction score
the platform activator was another idea ive thought about.
my brother bought a photo beam sensor thing from RS to play with, but no luck getting it wired.

who was it a few weeks ago said they were gonna play with the photo beam idea?

anyway my brother and i were throwing out ideas for the trip wire setup, thought about using strong fishing line from one tree to the next and tied to a light weight spring to allow some give. then connect it to some device that would push the camera button, but also have some sort of spring or return mechanism, so reseting would be automatic.

anyway its fun to think about these things.

LAgunman2K

Reaction score
ive also thought about attaching some bait to a wire that is connected to a camera. so the critter takes the bait and tries to run off and gets there pic taken, only problem would be trying to keep the critter from running away with the bait so others could grab hold and play tug o war while the camera does its thing.

Dbworld

Reaction score
Actually I thought about making a real simple device to hang over or near my game cams that if someone took them off a tree (as in stealing), it would simply release a string that would drop a weight onto a disposable, camera's shutter taking a picture of the culprit.  In hopes I could get as picture of someone trying to steal one.  Would be a daytime only thing.  I hunt and cam on state land.  I'm always a little surprised to find them still out there when I go to check them out.

woodseye

Reaction score
I was hoping you was gonna say dropped a weight on the cam thief LOL I'm another public land cammer and like db I'm always pleasantly surprised when my cam is still there.

Top Bottom