Tripod?

hank4elk

Reaction score
Since I like using a adapter for my binos sometimes and now finally have a good spotter I needed a tripod too.I picked up a Manfrotto 785b that is extremly lite but I will have to watch it they are not that heavy duty.Both together weight around 4lbs.What do you folks use? I'm talking for backpackhunting.

ayun112

Reaction score
Tripod alternative

It's too easy for me to gain a lot of weight in my pack while backpacking. so I'd stick to the lightweight tripod. Try it out a few times on day hikes. 4 lbs may not sound like much, but on top of all the regular backpacking gear (20-25 lbs), a rifle or bow (4-9 lbs) and water (8 lbs per gallon), you can be pushing your final pack weight up above 50 lbs. Since I need hiking poles because of my bad knees, I use the poles and a bungie to make a bipod for the rifle and also use it as a support for my spotting scope. This works if I keep the magnification at 20X or below. Frankly, it's not as good as having a lightweight tripod, but the weight trade-off is a reasonable compromise. I've been thinking of upping the magnification of my binoculars and foregoing the spotter.

JNDEER

Reaction score
lately I have been using a cheapo walmart one. it is not super strong, but it is as light as a feather. the only down side is because it is cheap it will slightly move once you get it on a target if you bump it. in other words it cannot be locked in tight on a specific spot. but as long as you don't bump it, it works just fine for me.

hank4elk

Reaction score
It's too easy for me to gain a lot of weight in my pack while backpacking. so I'd stick to the lightweight tripod. Try it out a few times on day hikes. 4 lbs may not sound like much, but on top of all the regular backpacking gear (20-25 lbs), a rifle or bow (4-9 lbs) and water (8 lbs per gallon), you can be pushing your final pack weight up above 50 lbs. Since I need hiking poles because of my bad knees, I use the poles and a bungie to make a bipod for the rifle and also use it as a support for my spotting scope. This works if I keep the magnification at 20X or below. Frankly, it's not as good as having a lightweight tripod, but the weight trade-off is a reasonable compromise. I've been thinking of upping the magnification of my binoculars and foregoing the spotter.
I use my 10x50 Alpens mostly and even put them on a rest sometimes.But the new scope is great and the tripod looks like a good choice, very light and stable.Been trying it out hiking around.I've gotten my pack wt. down with recent additions.I don't carry all the h2o I need with me,I use a filter.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I have an Eastmans hiking/shooting stick the last few years that I like.Adjustable and lite.When I need two for the packout with load I find a good wood hike stick and I have two.

Top Bottom