Trouble shooting help needed

shufigo

Reaction score
Hey guys, a little help needed.  I just finished a RS 425/Owl PF - no timer setup. All appeared to be successful, right thru the alignment test. When I'd finished calibrating the PIR angle (exterior PIR mount), I flipped the on-off-on switch to CAM.  The cam took a pic, even tho there was nothing in front of the PIR/CAM.  After a couple minutes, I moved in front of the cam -- still nothing. Back to LED position, and all checks normally. Flip back to CAM and it takes another pic with no one in front, and then freezes.  What would cause this problem? BTW, the rig is wired according to the pictures posted way early in the posts, showing the components and colored wires. If you could phrase your suggestions "according to a picture", it would help a bunch. I don't know a N.O switch/diode direction/muAmp from an elephant. Many thanks....

(Edited by shufigo at 11:44 am on Aug. 22, 2002)

bat

Reaction score
Ok shufigo, here come the questions! lol
are you using the switches, relays, diode from RS?
did you wire to number 2 pin?  did you wire exactly like the diagram in the instructions?
what connectors are you using?  did you do a camera wire test, if not do that now!  touch the two or three wires coming out of the camera together to check to make sure the camera will fire by shorting the wires out.
can you still press the shutter and snap a picture manually?  don't laugh at these last two but believe me it has been done....is the camera turned on?  and the biggy..do you have batteries in the camera?  yeah yeah that got me this morning doing a new one lol.  bat

deerguide

Reaction score
Do you have the switch on the PIR board set to Chime or alarm?

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I assume it works in test mode ok and will light the led and re-trigger when it sees additional movement.  You might go through the dpdt camera/led swithc wiring.  you have a direct short somewhere either in the switch or relay,   turn the power to the pir off and switch from test to camera.  If it is the switch that should fire a pic.   If not look to the relay.  it may be wired wrong or be locked up.  Was it a "normaly open" NO  relay

davered1

Reaction score
The relay is closed the whole time you have power on(unit) either the relay + is hooked to the wrong pin and has power going through it the whole time or maybe you have the wrong relay as AEH suggested, is it a 5V RS# 275-232?

shufigo

Reaction score
WOW, that's bunch of help all at once. In order of receipt, BAT: yes, all components are from RS. Yes to the wiring to #2pin. I'll have to check the solder to make sure I'm not shorted to an adjoining pin (would that make a difference if shorted to #1 or #3?) Did I wire exactly like the instruction? - yes, but I'm certainly going back to check my 11pm work tonite at 7. My quality control goes down as the time goes late. What connectors?? I don't know, just a jack and plug recc by Radio Shack. Wire test, yep, done that when I finished the cam and all worked perfectly. And, yes on the batts and switch positions. DEERGUIDE: did it both ways, same results. AEH, Yep, works good as you describe in your first sentence. I'll check the relay first. DAVE : I'll start at the relay, yes, it's a RS 5V DC Reed, don't remember the part #, but I've got another like it to crosscheck. **** I'm heading home now for dinner and a session at the bench. Be back to y'all tomorrow.THANKS A BUNCH GUYS

davered1

Reaction score
check how much current you have at relay when the pir isn't supposed to be tripped(sounds like it will be 5V).you can eliminate wires from relay to cam by removing plug and jack and wire direct.

mike88

Reaction score
Hey Bat, remember someone else had this problem and you solved it...( wonder who )
LOL... I think it is probably not wired to #2 pin... anyway good luck shufigo.. If thats not it I 'm sure the fine people will get you straightened out. These guys are amazing..

bat

Reaction score
lol Mike I remember!  Glad to help!

shufigo, look where you connected to the #2 pin...it should be the 4th. soldering point on the bottom or if you soldered to the pin itself on top it's the 2nd. from the big blue barrell.  I would also do like davered said and bypass the recepticals and wire it straight to tell if it is in the plugs.  A lot of people have had problem with the jack and plug connectors/recepticals.  nothing was said about the "diode", I don't think, make sure you have the diode turned the correct way also.  the gray bar goes toward the wire going to the #2 pin.  If that doesn't fix it try shorting across the two soldering place (one coming from the Relay to the one going to the camera), on the DPDT switch to check it...could be a bad switch.  You can do all kind of test to determine which place it is not getting the signal.  Try shorting across the two wires leaving the relay with the DPDT switch turned to "cam"(the wire going to the camera with the one going to the switch).  If that works the camera you know the problem lies back toward the pir.  These are just some of the things you can do to keep from taking everything out and exchanging parts.  Hope this helps.  bat

shufigo

Reaction score
Progress by process of elimination.  5V relay is correct type, and is correctly wired, diode is correctly oriented. Removed the jacks, cameras checked OK, and hooked the rig back up without the jacks, and problem persists. SSOOOoooo, looks like the next job will be to go to the PIR with all the good stuff posted above, and make sure all's correct. Back to the bench tonite, and I'll be up Sat morning with the results. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom