Trout Fishing Help Needed

kodiakoutdoors

Reaction score
Maybe someone will be able to help me get set up for some trout fishing in the June Lake Loop area. I reserved a cabin at Big Rock Resort for mid-August. My kids are 8 and 10 years of age. I do plenty of saltwater fishing, but hardly any freshwater fishing.

I really have no freshwater gear so I was wondering what I would need to buy for a family of 4. I want to teach my kids to fish, but at the same time I will be learning about trout fishing also.

I think I can figure out the rods and reels part. I actually have 1 rod and reel already, but I really don't have a clue as to what kind of terminal tackle I'll need or how to rig the tackle. Any help will be greatly appreciated and hopefully I won't look totally lost to my kids.

Thanks,
Marc

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
Marc, Ive never fished June lake, but here's some generic South Sierra advice.
Max 4lb test line. Lake fishing usually more productive with a fluorocarbon leader due to the clear water.
Hard to beat 1/2 nightcrawler or Pautzkes Balls of Fire salmon eggs (red).
I like to use long shanked aberdeen hooks in size 8 for bait. The longer shank makes it easier to remove from fish if you're releasing them. These hooks come in a brass color for a little 'flash' which seems to help.
Lures...
anything gold...kastmasters, panther martins, mepps, rootertails.
Darker colors for low light situations.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
you will want to check the regulations too i think a lot of that area (rush creek?) is artificial lures and barbless hooks. get some split shot for the bait also

Last edited:

Orygun

Reaction score
Thread an egg sinker (1/8 oz) , then a small split shot sinker , then run about 3 feet of line to your hook. You can switch the split shot for a swivel and then use a leader to the hook

Then go with the worm, salmon eggs, or Power Bait or any of the dough baits. I like size 18 treble hooks if I'm going to keep the fish.

Use just enough bait to cover the hooks.

Floating baits work great. Tossing Get a small air injector for your worms. The power baits float as well. When you cast out the bait with lift off the bottom which increases its visibility. Salmon eggs don't float but you can add a bit of marshmallow to lift them of the bottom. If your bait, esp worms isn't drawing bites use a slow, slow retrieve. A bit of night crawler just inching along can really do the trick.

Early mornings and late afternoon are when the trout bite best, but you can catch them all day.

The spots nearest the roads, boat ramps, turnouts, and so on are the places the DFG guys can get to quickest and easiest with their nets or the back of the hatchery trucks to stock. Trout will often hang out near where they stock at least for a few hours. They don't bite right away, but hang out in the area. It's a place to start on an unfamiliar lake especially if your trying to get fish and kids to meet.

Your odds will better in the creeks. Frankly the fish have fewer places to go and target them more closely.

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
I have the most luck with the slow nightcrawler retrieve. About 1/2 a crawler threaded on the hook so it looks like a leach. Don't bunch it up...keep it in line. then a slow retrieve. When you think its slow enough, go slower. Don't be afraid to use a bobber for the less experienced. With 3 of you fishing, try 3 different things til you find out what's working best.
While creeks are fun, inexperienced kids will drive you crazy re-tying broke-off terminal tackle. If you must fish creeks, try this: when tying your hook, leave a 12" tag end. Attach your split shot to the tag end. Bait up and start fishing. Chances are, in a rocky creek bottom it's your split shot that will get hung up between two rocks. Pull til the split shot slides off the tag end...reapply a new split shot, and keep fishing.
Good luck...

aconcrete

Reaction score
Marc,
All of the inforrmation you have received has been right on for trout in the sierras.
I don't fish the loop to much anymore but am familiar with the area.
I stayed at boulder once before and believe you can walk down the back of the property right to the lake and fish.
The better fishing on June is on the other side of the lake, drive down towards the beach and park and hike down aways on the north side and pick a spot.
Shore fishing spots are few on all the lakes in the loop except at Grant lake.
If you get a chance go farther north on the 395 and go to the virginia lakes.
Little virginia is pretty busy but there is plenty of shoreline to fish on big virginia, you just might have to walk a little ways.
I didnt notice if anybody said this but instead of sliding egg sinkers you can also use a water bobber, if you fill it all the way up it will sink to the bottom as well.
They now make one that is clear but has a rubber band in the middle of it, you run your line through the bobber and tie on the hook, pull the bobber up for however much leader line you want and twist the rubber band which keeps the bobber in place.
If you break off the hook just re-tie a hook and readjust the bobber... alot less work.
Hope this helps and have a great time with the family.

paid2raid

Reaction score
TOP WATER

Marc,

All the underwater stuff is great, but knowing how kids like to move around. I would go with a "water bobber", and a leader of 3-4 feet with some "grass hopper flies or such." They work really great when the water is flat, and the kids can work the shoreline instead of sitting and watching a pole.

That is how I started my son, and he continues to outfishing everyone on our trips. Just cast and do a slow retrieve, and wait for something to smack it.

Good Luck

kodiakoutdoors

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the great information. I will definitely be trying every option available to me so that my kids can hopefully catch something. I'll post a report when I return. Once again, thank you very much.
Marc

Top Bottom