Troy Taylor Goose Calling Workshop report

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
My day started early at 4:45. I was not only a bit tired from the early wake up call of my alarm clock but also because I went to bed late due to the same anxious anxiety that keeps me awake the night before every hunt. Nevertheless, I managed to get out of bed, clean up, make some coffee and hit the road to pick up KOZ at 6:00 am. Pulling up to his house for the first time I got out and walked up to his door which was open but the screen was shut. Apparently, even though I didn't get to go deer hunting this year, I still had my silent stalk working because I when I said "What's up" or "Hey dude".....something along those lines.........KOZ just about had to change his underwear. I guess I'm just lucky he didn't have a gun in his hands or it might have changed the mood for the day.

On our way we stopped to pick up my friend Nick in Garden Grove. Not wanting to miss anything we made sure we were there on time.........in fact we were the first ones to arrive. Andy & Troy showed up shortly after.

When Troy was tuning the calls we would all receive, I knew we were in the right place. I'd like to see him use them on some live birds some time.

The class was comprised of a few who already had experience with short reed goose calls and the rest who had very limited experience or absolutely non at all. After an explanation of how the call works it was time to start blowing them. Of course you don't just start with trying to sound like a goose. There are certain sounds you must learn to make first before making the classic honk. We all left the "refuge" of the room we were sitting in and went out side to introduce to all the sporting clay shooters that came that morning, what it would sound like with a dozen guys learning to blow a goose call. Let's just say that we got some looks. If anyone was in the area that day and saw a bunch of wildife running away with reckless abandon, it probably had more to do with the initial sounds many of us were making on the goose calls more so than the gun fire at the shooting range.

This went on many times as Troy taught us how to make the many the different sounds a short reed goose call is capable of. He was great with going around listening to what each of us was doing and helping us individually with overcoming anything we were having trouble with. This is not the easiest of calls to master but there is no doubt that without the guidance that Troy had offered, most of those guys would be nowhere near the level that they left with. Some picked it up easier than others and that is just the way it is.......even with a duck call. One thing is for certain, this was a waste of many if none of us continue to practice. This was a great class for anyone who is serious about improving their calling skills and I would highly recommend it. Not just for first time callers but also for those who have been calling for awhile. I learned how to make some new calls and how to tune.......no let me refraise that.......how to fine tune a goose call. This to me was extremely beneficial since reeds don't stay in tune or last forever and I don't care to send mine to someone else to tune it for me. Even mass produced calls can sound different when you try one from another right out of the package so some tweeking might need to be done to make is sound better or to help match the way you blow a call.

One more thing to know before you decide to attend the next workshop. This was to learn how to blow a short reed goose call. It was not to learn how to call geese. That comes with years of experience but if you take the class and learn how to use these calls, you will have the tools necessary to learn how to call geese more consistently than you have in the past.

Thanks Troy and Andy for putting on this workshop and Andy, the carne & pollo asada was great!

muledeer07

Reaction score
So Matt since you probably didn't sleep very much the night before did you fall asleep on the dike again Oh I mean Desk.

Attachments

rtin

Reaction score
I wasn't able to make it to the class but my call's did. They were in need of some retuning, so KOZ picked them up at my house.
TROY and ANDY went out of their way to spend the time to retune and spend time on the phone with me working out the problems I have been having. Being new to blowing a goose call these guy's make it really easy to understand and get you on the right track.Where else can you get customer service like that. Cant wait for the next class. Thank's again Koz, Troy, Andy, the call's sound sweet and I can't wait to put them to use.

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
Wade, you are banned from taking your camera the next time we hunt together.

Rob, I really did spit in your call.

rtin

Reaction score
Originally posted by mouthcallinmatt1@Sep 12 2005, 04:36 PM
Rob, I really did spit in your call.
That's OK Matt. We all have trouble spitting when we are just learning to blow a call.

AGC73

Reaction score
I Think what Matt was saying, it gives a nice SpitNote, but he did droll a little bit in it.

rtin

Reaction score
Originally posted by AGC73@Sep 12 2005, 06:40 PM
I Think what Matt was saying, it gives a nice SpitNote, but he did droll a little bit in it.
I haven't got that far yet so I wouldn't know.

AGC73

Reaction score
I just want to thank the guys that took the classes over this past weekend, there will be some more guys adding there
to the class, but I just want say that everyone improved and sounded 100% better than when they came in. The duck calling class was smaller than normal, but one the best classes that I've helped guys out on. Every one improved from the single quacks and there feed calls, we started hitting some of the more advanced calling such as the "bouncing hen" the "cajun squeal" and Troy showed them all the famous "Refuge Feed". One that still keeps me humble, but when we did hit the advanced notes, the class stayed with it. Most everyone in there were JHOers for the duck calling class.

Xavier, you sounded really good at the end of the day, Pitdog- you have blown a call for a long time, you had some good single quacks, Troy changed your style up some on how you called and you stayed with it and you sounded awesome at the end of the day. KOZ- you were sounding good as well also, and it was a blast to meet your father-n-law, he could probally show me secrets in the field. Everyone caught on quick, not so much stuggling with it, not that it was 100% perfect, but with practice, you guys will have it all nailed down before you know it.

The next day was the goose calling class,
Troy and I talked about the lesson plan on the way down there that morning, I gave him a heads up that there will be some guys in there that can blow a short reed pretty well, I'd say there were 5 out of the 13 that were good. Blowing a shortreed goose call doesn't come easy right off the bat, it takes time and practice
to be good on them. At the end of the day guys were sounding decent, they were getting there clucks and honks down. When we got to the Spit Notes, the Willis and some of the more advanced come back calls, the 5 guys that sounded good, had to grab there calls and make sure that were hitting the notes well as Troy would come buy to listen and adjust a few things and then it was all down hill from there for them. The call tuning alone was worth it for every one, there are so many call makers out there that won't show you how tune a call, the old saying don't touch the "Golden Sacred Reed"
, in the classes you learn how retune take it apart, clean it, make your own reeds, how to scrape the them, why if you do this it will sound like that, and you have knowlege of not being afraid of your calls. Duck and Goose are kids toys, your supposed to have fun with them.

Mouthcallin Matt, RobertDruc, Dennis Foullit, sounded really well on the advanced notes, Matt your spit note was sounding good and your buddy Nick caught on pretty quick, Troy and I were impressed, and made mention to me about it on Monday morning.

KoZ, never blew a shortreed goose call, at the end day he was sounded goosey, was getting some clucks and making small transitions. Nickotime, dude I'm impressed, keep at it bro, you'll have it down soon, 100% better than last season.
Kid Creole, was sounding goosey as well, I wasn't sure kind of call he had before, but he was making some nice notes out of the Taylor Talker.

Once again it was a fun weekend, the food was awesome, and it was good to put a face to some of you JHOers that I didn't know personally, you all have real names right?
Hope to see you guys next year and some new faces.

KOZ

Reaction score
Thanks Andy, I've been practicing twice a day since the class with both the goose and duck calls.

For anyone who hasn't attended one of these courses, no matter if you hunt ducks or geese, they are both definitely worth it - unless you are a professional caller of course. You will definitely be adding some new material to your calling repertoire, not to mention the tuning aspect which is priceless.

Andy thanks for organizing the entire weekend. Can we roast a pig Hawaiian style for lunch next time?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I have to say the class was money well spent.

I have always placed my tongue on the roof of the bridge and having to learn to place the tip of the tongue behind the bottom teeth and the curl to the roof was like starting over.

I finally got it after hours of practice… My breakthrough was finding the correct vowel tone and working it up to the first hi-ball pitch. That variance of tongue placement was a hard transition but now I have more confidence.

I tuned a drawer full of “No Good Calls” into assets thanks to the class.

Thanks again Andy and Troy for the lessons that will last a lifetime. You’re a class act!

Oh yah, the Taylor Call is now in the #1 slot on my lanyard.

threelab

Reaction score
I agree the TT call is in the #1 spot on the lanyard.
I had a great time at the clinic. I've listened to a ton of tapes but having someone right next to you, telling you what you need to do, is invaluable. I have a better concept of tuning a call and rejuvinated a bunch of old calls.
We had a great group of guys and worth every penny.

calfowler

Reaction score
Matt that picture could be on a Mastercard commercial because it is priceless. I thought I was the only one who napped on the mud. I just got back from the Santa Ana Riverbed with my new call. There are two brood hatches of honkers where I walk, its so cool. One of the groups (twelve of them) was flying around so I gave them a couple of clucks and honks and they flew by at about 25 or 30 yards. They were looking around all curious and shit. All I could think about was taking a double.
"Catch" Thanks a lot. You and Troy are both class acts and provide a service second to none. The calls are world class, the instruction is world class and the service is even better. This class is for anyone from novice to advanced. we had some super good callers there. Robert, Dennis, Nick, Matt and (Palos Verde Little league shirt guy) all sounded great. The biggest surprise was how improved Nickotime, Koz, Kid Kreole and one other gentleman were. These guys all sounded really good on a short reed goose call now. What impressed me the most was how Troy gave special attention to one guy that just wasn't getting it.Well he gets it now thanks to Troy's help.He was making good clucks and honks by the end of the class. Sign me up for next year "Catch". I will be ready to learn the spit note and the willis. Right now I am going to concentrate on clucks, honks, tone and putting them together. Can't wait for the season to start. Going Honker hunting over thanksgiving. I enjoyed meeting everybody. What a great group. Calfowler

Reaction score
I have been “unavailable” for the past couple weeks. I did want to post up on the duck seminar. I found that the class was well worth the money for a few reasons. Not only did the class teach me new calls but more importantly it broke bad habits. I was self taught via Cassette tapes & CD’s. This class takes it up a notch and corrects you where you think you’re alright. I now have no fear of breaking down the call to tune it or replace whatever. My neighbors have not really appreciated the past week, but oh well.

Troy & Andy are true teachers and it was really cool to see them go from student to student giving us the thumbs up or taking the time to teach us the correct way of doing a certain call.

I may even go back for the spring seminar. I would recommend this seminar to duck hunting vets to starters.

Thanks again guys!!!

outdoorplay

Banned
Reaction score
and we misted you Jason, SSSOOO MMMUUUCCCHHH

I wished I could have be there.

God knows I need the help.

ok Andy you will need to keep me posted on the next one.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom