Truth about film quality

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Most of you guys have been at this a whole lot longer than i and maybe you could give me some tips on the best film to use in the Owl pf. My first pics i used a good Kodak 400 and on my second set i used cheap Konica film from the dollar store ($1.00 a box with a $1.00 rebate) and they actualy came out better..i think.My scanner is a new Lexmark x73 and is easy to operate and i get good picks from it. Also i have several photo software programs that make inhansment easy, but i would like to know if anyone is getting really quality pics straight out of there cam and if so what film are you useing. Thanks for any info or help. Mike

bat

Reaction score
Hey screwshooter, sounds like you already have the best film can't beat Free especially if they beat the quality of the Kodak film.  Gotta go visit the Local Dollar store here to see if I can find some for $1.  The best way to get the very best is to make sure you use the UV lens even though some people say they are getting good pictures out of regular glass.  Just my 2¢
bat

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Bat, The lens im useing is a skylight lens and it did seem to make a impruvement in my pics. By the way, That dollar store film price is for a roll of 27 pics but i got 28 out of it. The reason i was asking about the film is that it seems some pics on here are much better than others.Maybe it's the scanner they use or the pic program they use. Mike

whitetailfan

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that no matter what brand of film you use, always get it developed with the matte finish. I think Eckerd calls it "Luster Matte" and Walmart has another name for it. If the store you are using dosen't have a matte finish, I would suggest going somewhere else. For some reason, the glossy finish pics look ok if it is a day shot but all glossy night shots look "washed-out" or foggy. After trying 4 different developers, I've found that typically, Walmart is the best. Plus they have the best price for 1 hour processing. But that's just MY personal opinion.

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys and the tip about the matt finish. My problem is that the nearest Wallmart or any big store is 50 miles from me, i really live in the mountains here. We have a rite-aid in our town but no choices on the finish on the one hour picks, just glossie photos.Mike

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Coyote has some posts that explaiend how he was getting those eye popping pics of his. He uses Pro film, uses developers that had a certain machine (Fiji something or other) and I think he was scanning negatives instead of already developed pics.

Do a search using Coyote's name under game cams and you can pull up his tricks. Also look at his pics on his webpage to see how good the pics are.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mcmillen/

Top Bottom