• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Trying to decide what caliber to purchase...

flingem71

I say go with the. 308 ......then you can hunt any state and have a great round with little recoil.

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

catchdog

7mm08 it has the low recoil you want. carrie's energy better than the 308 past 300 yards. A bit better cal than the 25-06 for pigs. At 300 yards shooting a 120 gr Barnes TTSX it is only .6 of an inch lower than the 25-06 shooting a 100 gr TTSX. Me my wife and my brother all have 7mm08's. As stated in a rarlier post . stock design has alot to do with felt recoil. My wifes 7mm08 is a Rem mod SEVEN , my brothers is a Win featherlight and mine is a Savage 11. My wifes has the less felt recoil, my brothers was next and mine was the worst. Matter of fact it was worse than my Rem 700 ADL in 30-06. The LOP was to long for me so when I had it cu down i had a recoil pad put on it. That helped. Me and my wife shoot 140 gr Barnes TSX and they have done great on everything from pigs and black bear in America and from jackel to blue wilderbeest in Africa. I am sure that the 120 gr TSX or TTSX would work very well also. Out of the three cals The 7mm08 is the best for what you want IMHO.

freezer

Catchdog, your a hand loader. Midseason hasn't answered our questions yet. Nothing wrong with the 7-08 but IMHO it's a handloaders cartridge as is the 25-06. The most basic concept of any long range shooting is know you trajectory, know your gun, and know your limitations. We're splitting hairs here between cartridges. If I know a bullet will drop 10" at 300 yards and the gun shoots a 1 moa with a cold shot group, I know where the bullet will end up. If it has enough terminal velosity and energy to make the bullet perform at a give range, minute of boiler room is good.

I've had three right shoulder surgeries and I can tell you from experience, I've never felt the rifle thump or heard the bang when I shot at game. I take precautions at the range.

Since we haven't had our questions answered I ass/u/me he's not a hand loader thus the best choices for him might be:
.243 good for varmint and deer, marginal on pig and mullies. Very light recoil flat trajectory good long range performance.
.308 good for varmint, deer, pig and bear at ranges to 300 yards. Short action and light weight
.270 Flat trajectory good for varmint, deer including mullies to 400 yards, bear, pig and marginal on elk to 250 yards. Long action more weight limited bullet selection.
30-06 good for all of the abvove with the correct bullet to 400 yards. Most versitile of the cartridges. Long action more weight. Great factory selections and a beginning handloader dream. Will drop anything on the north Americain contenant except grizzly but even that is debatable.

His best choice would be start hand loading. It won't save him money but he'll shoot more.

There are a lot of good short magnums out there but the problem is short action mags kick more.

I know I've written a lot on this subject, this is one I feel passionate about. My go to rifle is a Savage 99f in 308. It wears a 2x7 Leupold. It weighs less than 6 lbs and 300 yards is not a problem for cartridge or scope. I have other rifles that fill other nitches but this is my go to rig. I hunt steep terrain and brush with long lake bottom shots. I hand load and know the trajectory and velosity of my rifle using 165 gr Sierra Game Kings bullets and 46 grs of Varget with Win Match Primers.

A couple years ago my son's friend hunted with us complaining about his Rem 700 all weather with a 3x9 Leupold in 30-06. It just wasn't good enough! It wasn't cool or enough rifle. I finially got tired of it and offered to take this piece of junk off his hands for $400 dollars. His head enguaged and he shot a nice 5x5 elk with it last year. Enough said.

It's hard to play golf with one club but if you must make it as versitile a club as you can. The all weather rifles they make today are fantastic. If you'll sit with it heavy is good, if you have to carry it all day the lighter the better.

Long distance shooting is no replacement for hunting and stalking skill.

catchdog

No Sr I am not a reloader. He said he wants one of the 3 25-06, 7mm08 and .308. He also said he wants light recoil and will be hunting yotes, deer and pigs. First out to 300 yards, then 300 plus. All 3 will get the job done. Standard ammo would be cheaper with the .308. But premium is all pretty close and if he hunts in the condor zone will need copper. I pickes the 7mm08 because IMO it is the best choice of the 3 for what he wants. Light recoil, plenty killing power for hogs.deer and yotes out to 300-350 yards and fairly flat trajectory. Are we splitting hairs , yes we are. But the fact is that the 7mm08 has lighter recoil than the .308 and does carry it's energy better than the .308 past 300 yards with the same bullet weight and type. The pic of my wife with the blue wilderbeest was to show that the 7mm08 is enough gun for game bigger than pigs. A 500 pound wilderbeest is a tuff critter. But was taken down cleanly with 1 good shot to the shoulder. Thats not to say you cant kill one cleanly with a 25-06. But I would wait for the behind the shoulder shot with the 25-06.

freezer

OOOPs :smiley_doh: See waht happens when you ass/u/me :bag-on-head:

That is a nice animal! That would be the hunt of a life time for me. Was it taken in Africa or was it one of the exotic hunts.

Last edited:

catchdog

Yes it was in Africa. My wife shot 11 plains game animals and with her 7-08 and none went far. The wilderbeest ran 90 yards and was dead. They are tuff animals, I have shot three and all went 300 yards after beingshot. One with a .270 bullet went through heart both lungs and the liver. @ with 30-06 one I had to shot three times and the first shot was right in the shoulder. The next shot was at the base of the tail , that put it down. Then one in the neck to finish it off. The third one was shot right behind the shoulder bullet went through both lungs. I have hunted Africa 2 times, and took my wife with me one time. Yes it' a hunt of a life time Mywife also shot a kudu with the 7-08 and they are about t size of elk. But ot near as tuff as the wilderbeest. Peopl have taken eland with the 7-08 and the 7x57. Eland are like elk but go up to 2000 punds. In my opinion the 7-08 is very under rated. We shoot Federal Premium with the Barnes TSX 140gr and I would not feel under gunned hunting moose. I will post up some picks of group shot with them so you ca see how well the shot. Didn't want to hi jack the thread . ut it does have to do with the 7mm08.

catchdog

Sorry I dont have a pic up of groupes from my 7mm08. But it will shoot 1/4 inch groupes at 100 yards. With the Fed Prem 140 gr TSX ammo. Also When we were talking about stock design and felt recoil. My wifes Rem Mod Seven is a youth model and the lightest of the three guns. My Savage is the heavyest . If you want to she more pics from our Africa hunt go to the Africa hunting area and look under the thread that says pics you will see alot of animals taken with a 7-08.

thanks guys for each input, I believe that my decision has been made...
I feel that it's going to be the 7mm-08. Unless the sporting goods store doesnt have one. one of yall asked what type of optics i planned on purchasing for it, well I am undecided. do you have any suggestions? My price range would be between 150-300$

catchdog

Leupold VXII 2x7x33 or 3x9x40 . Check opticplanet.com they will ship for free when order is over $100 . I have ordered from them a few times . Also check out the nikon prostaff 3x9x40 and 2x7x32 for under $200 very good scope for the money . I have a Leupold VXI 2x7x33 on my 7mm08 and a leupold VXII on my 30-06 . I shoot both with no problem at 300 yards. The glass is a bit better on the VXII. I have a nikn 2x7x32 prostaff on my sluggun and the glass is as good as the Leupold VXI. My buddy has the Nikon 3x9x40 on his .270 and its a very good scope for under $200. I think you will be very happy with the 7mm08, not that you woulnt be with a .308 or 25-06. happy hunting.

freezer

That would depend on the rifle you plan on getting and your type of hunting which you haven't told us yet. For a compact rifle with max versitility I have to go with 2x7x33 it keeps you head down 2x is a good power for close range and if you need more 7x should be more than enough for 300 yards. If this isn't a brush rifle 3x9 would be a better choice but I've been very happy with 7x. 3x9 is heavier and higher off the barrel and stock. That said I would not consider a scope that isn't a Leupold. Their customer service is legdendary. This is a great post for the optics forum.

I have stated what type of rifle, its going to be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 7mm-08. And the type of hunting as also been answered, which was yotes, deer, and hogs. Some areas will be brush but for the most part clear cuts and green fields.

flingem71

Long pause.....

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

bigshot

Out of the three calibers listed I'd pick the 25-06 easy... Its plenty of rifle for deer and hogs out to 400 yards and easier on coyote pelts if u decide to mount one. My buddies Ruger 25-06 is super accurate too, makes me want to buy one!

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Madseason, If you do not handload, and assuming you will be hunting Condor range, I can imagine you are pulling your hairs like a maniac trying to find lead-free ammo for your 7-08.

I would have opt for .243, 308, 270, or 30-06. Alot less headache to find lead-free for those calibers.

nmbrinkman

I'm partial to the .25-06 but it's because I own one. Put a wood stock on it to add a little weight and the recoil is tamed even more. Plenty of good factory ammunition for the .25-06 out there so while being more of a handloaders cartridge it's not unrealistic to own as a factory ammo buyer. If I didn't buy the .25-06 I'd seriously consider the 6.5 swede. I shoot the Tikka T3 Lite. It's a light gun but the regular T3 sports a longer barrel wood which adds some recoil absorbing weight.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5x55.htm

Last edited:

freezer

Ok 7-08 but what rifle? For a light carry less than 400 yard rifle I'd go 2x7 Leupold VXII. It gives a great close range FOV and yuo'll not need anythingover 7x at those ranges.

Last edited:

Top Bottom