Tule elk and calls?

ltdann

Reaction score
Anyone have any input if Tule will respond to an elk call like the hootcie-mama?

DFGELK

Reaction score
In most ways they are like other elk and will respond to calls or sometimes not. Elk are elk.

Joe

Glass eye

Reaction score
Dan
When I was scouting them they were very vocal and combative. I didn't hear much from the cows, mostly it was the bulls. I shot some great video of fights and also filmed my bull having his harem run off and joining up with another bull's harem. he was quite upset and the other bull quickly herded his harem out of the area. When I shot my bull the next day, he had regained his harem, and then some.
So, to answer your question I would say yes. The cows saw other cows and ran to join them.

ltdann

Reaction score
So in effect, I'm really not losing anything by giving it a try. Hoochie-mama it is!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
They get fired up and very vocal. Calling can definitely work. Early to mid Aug is prime time.

Heavyhitter

Reaction score
hey I hunted a bull tule elk last year in owens valley, used the hoochie mama call it is money in the bank if the elk is in rut, but regardless I called 2 seperate herds to with 15 yards of me using that call. its simple and it works

ltdann

Reaction score
I'll be hunting post-rut in Nov for a cow and was hoping it would make one or two curious enough to check it out. For around $30, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Deffinetly get one and the new mouth call,I maka da bulls crazy,or something.Very versital, mimics calfs.But one call on a Hoochie Mama will stop them and get them to stand for a shot.Just don't over do it! One time then wait. They are hep to calls .

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I always wondered the same thing. But what about Tule Bulls at places like <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Grizzly</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Island</st1:placeType></ST1:p? Don’t the bulls know every other bull by now? Will a bugle work or will it make them run?

Good luck on your hunt!

Heavyhitter

Reaction score
the bugle will work I was able to get them to stop and become curious, but the hoochie mama sealed the deal for me the Tule bull came in from well over 800 yards away and didn't stop till I shot at 35 yards.

ltdann

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. If i can get a cow to respond to the calf call, I may be able to get a shot in with the bow. I've heard good things about the hoochie-mama from others and want to give it a try on my first elk hunt.

GregVan

Reaction score
The afternoon before I shot my bull on Grizzly Island, I called him & two others several times.

Rush...first time I called a bull in!

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I thought elk calling was to make the voice of a cow sound real sexy so the bulls will come in to check it out. Hmmmm...what sound can make a cow want to check it out?

L2H

ltdann

Reaction score
This sounds better and better...

I'm guess a calf in distress or another cow sound might draw one in?

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I missed the part that you’re cow hunting. Every cow hunt I have been on, it has just been spot in stalk. I didn’t even carry a call. If I was doing a cow hunt now, I would carry a cow call but it would be more for if I got busted, or if I need to stop a running cow.

I don’t think you can get a cow to commit to a call like you can a bull. I don’t think they care.

Good luck! :smiley_green_with_e

Speckmisser

Reaction score
A cow call isn't just for attracting elk.

It can be really helpful if you're in close and the elk get spooky. A few soft chirps can calm the herd down... unless of course they've smelled and/or spotted you. It can also stop one long enough to get a shot... although you'll want a mouth call for that, since you will need your hands to make the shot.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
If it's a hot cow, and you're sexy calling with mixture of mews and whine and bugles, she'll come in for a fight also. Many times a cow will come to show another cow that she's more dominant. Kind of like when a girl walks pass you and your girlfriend to show that she's more good lookin and hot. Other than that, if you spook the herd and they're not that sure of you, sound like a lost calf and mostly the younger lead cow will come back to check you out. Calls do work on cows also and when you can get the lead cow to come your way, the herd bull will not be far behind.

ltdann

Reaction score
Good points all. I'm guessing its a good investment. If nothing else, its a good souvenir of a hunt.. Besides, I really like the name - hoochie-Mamma!:dancin-red:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom