Tule Fog and the new Dust Bowl

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Once again, it's time to chase some tasty ducks. The bird counts are healthy almost everywhere.

Tule fog has been settling into the San Juaquin Valley lately, and daylight blocking dust storms are coming out of the fallowed fields along the I5 corridor.

Leave early, plan ahead, and don't kill yourself getting to the refuge. Too many good folks have died on these roads, so slow down and pay attention.

I wish all you folks the best season ever, stay safe, be kind to your fellow hunters, and leave the blinds better than you found them. :prayin :

Buckeyeduckhunter

Reaction score
Great Advice. To go along with it, safety doesn't stop once you get to the refuge. A loaded gun leaning against the blind or not paying attention to where a hunting partner is. Or for people like me who hunt alone, paying attention to where the deep water is wearing a pair of chest waders. It is no joke, things can turn for the worst in a hurry.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
He means it. I have never experienced anything like the tule fog getting out to Mendota. I was driving under 5 MPH, with the door open looking down at the white line splitting the lanes. It was worth it because I made it safely to the refuge and had one of the most memorable hunts thus far. I actually stopped and got out at one point, only to find I was stopped in the middle of the main intersection in the town of Mendota!! I knew this only by the colored fog above my head.....it was the stoplight.

bux-n-dux

zenhunter

Reaction score
A loaded gun leaning against the blind
Yep and there's no such thing as overuse of the safety.

As for the fog, if I hadn't set the mileage counter when I left home for Kern a couple years ago I wouldn't have known when to start riding the shoulder, looking for the blacktop to veer off to the exit. A couple of trucks with dog kennels and hunting gear in front of me kept crawling on up the highway, taillights disappearing in the worst soup I'd ever seen. Hoped they were hunting someplace north of Kern.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Some of you guys will remember my fog nightmare a few years back. My wife and I were heading for Kern in dense fog, and had already reported and tailed a drunk driver on 99 destined to kill someone. We were moving slow down Garces highway, when something materialized in the fog ahead...half a dozen horses standing in the middle of the road! One of them was a Pinto, so I made out the white patches in time to swerve, but we still caught his head with our fender, then again with the passenger side mirror, which shattered, sending broken glass flying through the open window. We went off road, slid sideways awhile, and managed to get back on the road.

Had the horse in front not been a Pinto, we'd have piled into the whole group for sure...

I remember that hunt Nate, that fog was pea soup...and thanks for not mentioning the coot I hammered...;)

Last edited:

Duck Fan

Reaction score
great reminders and advice all!

I got a GPS several years ago and I sure love it. It provides direction for me to all my spots...and to the refuges I frequent. It is so nice to see the next turn/road coming up on the screen when I can hardly see.

The Tule Fog is brutal at times...and I have even been turned around on walks to my own blind before. :confused:

Stay safe everyone.

Top Bottom