Tule/Klamath NWR

MQ

Reaction score
Well on the spur of the moment I decided to drive up to the Klamath Basin following Thanksgiving dinner in Chico. Taking my 2 boys with me. Any recomendations on areas to go that have been shooting well. Can go either field or marsh. Thanks for your help...

Baldplate

Reaction score
I have not hunted Tulelake this year, but with spec and cackler seasons now closed you are going to be limited to white geese and honkers.For tulelake try the space blinds just remember to check out the harvest sheet posted on the check in trailor.At lower klamath I hear that unit 7 is nearly fully flooded and that unit has shot well for me in the past. A sleeper spot is the motorless areas of units 4b.Last year I had mallards dumping in on my spread from 1100 - to closing time at 1:00pm.Sorry I can't provide current information but I cancelled plans for my yearly trip back in september when it was reported that lower klamath would not open for hunting this year.Also for honkers on tulelake, the lower c blinds along with the lower g&f blinds were always a good choice for honkers. However this year I am not even sure if they are open for hunting. Good luck let me know how you do and what the hunting conditions are like.

2curljohnny

Reaction score
M.Q. just got back from LK ,it dropped off dramatically from last fri/sat when i was there. the storm started pushing through about 11:00 this morning and we ended up with 2 greenies. saw approx.60 birds fly unit 7 all morning,mixed mallard,widgeon, no sprig, and about 12 taken around us out of 7 sets.about 1/4 as many in the closed zone as last week.pretty decent cold front moving in now, rained all the way back to humboldt.plenty of water now any where you want to go.good luck

MQ

Reaction score
2CJ - Thanks for the report. Talked to my old buddy who lives just south of the TL panhandle last night and he said the same thing. A tremendous number of mallards moved out of Sump B very recently. Maybe now some of the valley refuges may get some birds. MAybe I'll try the TL spaced blinds....Happy Thanksgiving.

MQ

Reaction score
Boy what fun, hunting in horizontal snow. Sure wish I had a better setup for laying flat in a snow field, but with two boys and no white sheets to hide under, we pretty much stuck out like sore thumbs. Got one snow at the Tule Lake spaced blinds Saturday and probably coulda had more if we could have hid better. But the dekes resembled snow drifts in pretty short order. Tough way to hunt but a whole lot better than staying cooped up with the in-laws all day.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom