Turkey #3

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I decided to hunt a friends ranch that's pretty close to home and had not hunted in a couple of years. Got up the hill and set-up at about 12:15. Didn't see or hear anything for about an 1/2 hour. At about 12:45, I hear my 1st gobble. It was kinda breezy, so I couldn't really tell how far or exactly where it came from. I instantly got into full loud box call mode, and quickly got a response. After a short period of time, I see the pair of gobblers, one big boy, who's in full strut, and one 2 year old sub. The 2 birds are below me and to the right. Between us is a pretty big gully. As the birds go into the gully, I switch to left-hand shooting position, again. Next thing I know, I see the top of a fan to my right at 25 yds. The bird sees my decoy (Bobble-head hen) which is about 20 yds below me, and he starts quartering down hill towards the decoy. Only seeing one bird and being in full strut. I assume he's the old boy. As he gets out at about 30 yds I cluck. His head comes up and he goes down. Only one problem, it was the sub. I never did see the the big boy. I quess, that's how he got to be a 3 year old...
....Still a nice bird, 18lbs, 8 1/2 beard, 3/4" spurs............. Now, the real fun begins. Taking kids out and taking pictures............

P.S.
Back to work by 2:00.........

Attachments

ilovesprig

Reaction score
One of the kids (Josh) I take out got a really nice bird today also (MCC). His bird was certainly a 3 year old, 21 lbs, 9 1/2" beard, 1" spurs. A real beauty...........

Attachments

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'd a been shootin too Steve, never know what that other tom was up to, maybe a sneak around the flank. Nice bird.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
There ya go! Man I'm gonna hafta tighten up this weekend! Congrats to both of you!

Tominator

Reaction score
Nice work! I'm with Jesse, never know where the other ones might go. Good work getting the young man a bird as well

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
Congrat's Steve on a fine bird # 3 wow now that's gettin it done,and conrat's to Josh!

Advertisement

Top Bottom