Turkey Call Collecting.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Anyone got any neat turkey calls that they care to post pictures of?

I have been collecting calls for a while and never tire of seeing others.

What's your oldest call? Favorite? Etc...

My oldest is a Toms Gaskins scratch box. The call isn't dated but the box it came in was sent with a 4 cent stamp from Fl to Pa. I searched and found out that stamp was issued in the 40's. Only the first two digits of the postal stamp are legible 19??. I am going to have to get a black light of something and see if I can see it better.

Most of my other calls are from the 60's,70's with some newer collectables.

How about you........

Tominator

Reaction score
All I have is a Penn's Woods box. It's a Roger Latham Model but I was told it was a newer call since the strap through the lid is nylon rather than leather. The call was bought by my brother in the mid '70's.
Tominator

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Tominator >> I know of the one your talking about. I have had a couple from time to time.
I've since sold or traded them all. I have three varieties. One with no hole for the strap, one with a leather strap and one with a nylon strap.

I'm sure that's an indication to the age but I don't know what age would be.

Wish I had an original Latham box, before Penns Woods started the mass production.

But one of these days I hope to run accross a Cost box call. Heck man you gotta be right in the middle of Cost country there. Do you ever see any for sale down there?

One of these days I'll find one.

Tominator

Reaction score
I know some guys who have them but won't take them out of sacred spot on the mantle and I know guys who still hunt with them. What I've never known is someone from around here that has ever wanted to part with one*LOL*.
I started work on a project in Aiken, co. last August and used went right by his house all the time. I finally decided to stop this year around late January or early Feb. but no one was home, I was later told he was in really bad shape and had been put in a nursing home. He had a standing gobbler weather vane on top of his shop, really cool. I guess I'll never have a Cost Box since I won't pay that kind of money for a call (can't is more like it!) and if I had one I would definitely take it hunting. Everyone I've talked to that knew said he was really disturbed when his calls got so popular that people quit taking them to the woods.
Tominator

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Tominator, keep an eye out. You'll run into one sometime. There are a few guys around here. Some use them for hunting like it ain't nothing, other have them locked away in vaults.

He used to come though this area and sell them at small shows at the local high school. Oh well.
I'll just have to keep looking I guess.

Top Bottom