Turkey Call

Bankrunner

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced call? Looking for good sound and a fairly easy learning curve.
I like the idea of the diaphragm calls only because their hands free but also like the idea of something that's more durable.

dthome

In my experience, the easiest call to use is a slate call, and the easiest slate calls to use are the cheapest glass ones you can buy. They typically come with a carbon striker, which is not finicky at all. All I ever use is this type of call, and I really only use yelps. It’s all that’s necessary to limit out, and it has called in an entire flock of jakes in the fall. This one comes with a mouth call, which I can’t really speak to.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hunters-specialties-hs-strut-raspy-old-hen-glass-pan-friction-turkey-call?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-y04I3d4QIVhsJkCh1fjQyOEAQYCyABEgJa3fD_BwE

Cowpoke

ditto with the glass. I have one with a glass striker as well (plastic). The higher the pitch the better in my book. Most of the toms that gave me the beards fell for this call. They work in rain, snow sleet...they just bloody work. Wing bones are another but take a little bit to learn on. Nothing beats a loud custom paddle call for a long range locator though....my Lamar Williams call is not far from my side. I gotta get out there in the woods. The weather has made the roads into a big mud hole. Good luck!

Portuguese Pointer

I’ve got various manufacturers and styles including slate calls and diaphragms but my Lynch “World Champion” box call is the only one I use. It’s fullrpoof and the learning curve is about 5 minutes. Just carry a spare rubber band and spare chalk. But a box call isn’t great if you need hands free for bow. Good luck.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced call? Looking for good sound and a fairly easy learning curve.
I like the idea of the diaphragm calls only because their hands free but also like the idea of something that's more durable.

Bankrunner

So far, the spring hunt has not been as easy as anticipated. No birds strutting in the orchard just yet and it will be a week or two before we go back to the ranch.
On one hunt during the first week three toms came close to the blind but not close enough. The next day you could hear birds but none came close, it was still a good day to sit in the blind. Two does hung out for about an hour at +/- 40yds, a pair of titmouse were building a cavity nest in the tall stump next to the blind, a jack rabbit made two close passes (once almost going under the chair), a grey squirrel passed through, a group of about 6 quail went through using the new brush piles as pit stop cover and a hen and drake mallard were making fly byes.

Cowpoke

I don't think i've ever thought that turkey hunting could be easy. I have had hunts where everything came together on opening day and I was out of the woods by 10am. One opening day this old boy was struttin' along with seven hens on the opposite side of a 75 foot wide river. I gave him the come quick cluck and he flew over the river and left his hens to get a quickie with my lucky lucy decoy. Granted he was a crazy Rio and a second year bird at that but still, what are the odds of that happening?

Bankrunner

In the fall, last fall anyway, the birds would come into the orchard/corral area every day to pick, scratch and eat garden plants. Also saw them strutting in the orchard during spring before. These birds haven't been hunted (that i know of) except for one bird that was taken last fall so easy as in private land birds that you have to chase out of the garden.
Anyway the word might be out cause they ain't doing that now. I'm new to hunting turkeys but I can see where your coming from on the not so easy part cause most of my hunting is for deer on public land.
Good luck on that elk hunt Cowpoke, it sounds like a dream come true!

Top Bottom